+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Solar Heater, Brand, Cost and Hookup

Default Re: Solar Heater, Brand, Cost and Hookup

Big Dave

Quick question

When I use option 1, should I install the tee after the SWCG to prevent the warm water from going thru the SWCG? I was also thinking of eliminating the tee and add a second 3 way valve? What do you think?

Thank you
    Eddie
    Eddie
    Summer Escapes 14' Pro-Series 4047 gallons, Intex 12 inch sand pump, Intex SWCG, Intex 2500 GPH Filter Pump, surrounded by Vinyl Works Fence using a Taylor K-2006C and Taylor K-1766, Sungrabber 4 x 12 feet Solar Collector, Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235, 12 mil Clear Solar Blanket

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I think Tee would be better, no reason to risk shutting it off on accident. I don't see any reason not to pass the solar heated water through the SWCG. It's shouldn't get any kind of "Hot".

BigDave

Over the weekend i installed my solar heater, and i must say i wasn't disappointed at all, on a pretty somewhat sunny day it raised the water temperature from 75 to 81 which i expect to raise a bit more if the sun is completely out all day.

I like to verify some things with the unit i purchased:
    1. The instructions said to install a reducer which is included with the kit on the feed side of the solar heater?
    2. The instructions said to set the bypass valve between 1 and 2 so the feed to the solar heater is at half pressure?
    3. Not part of the instructions but i installed a check valve on the feed side between the pump and the solar heater?

What do you think?

I have included some pictures of the work completed, sorry for the landscaping waiting on the in law to plant some trees.

Eddie
    Summer Escapes 14' Pro-Series 4047 gallons, Intex 12 inch sand pump, Intex SWCG, Intex 2500 GPH Filter Pump, surrounded by Vinyl Works Fence using a Taylor K-2006C and Taylor K-1766, Sungrabber 4 x 12 feet Solar Collector, Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235, 12 mil Clear Solar Blanket

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I think I'm surprized. How did you measure the temperature boost? Temperature of the pool water - morning to afternoon?

Was the 3-way valve in that position during the heating period? I ask because from what I can see if that's a spring check and the pump output is pressurizing both sides of the solar bubble, I can't see what would lift the check.

BigDave

Honestly i just sat there and monitored with a thermometer digital and mercury style. As far as the check valve it is not spring loaded, it prevents it closes when the water returns back on the feed side, i was thinking this would help. The 3 way valve was set in that position between one and two.

The check valve is installed on the feed side of the solar heater between the filter and the solar heater not on the return side of the solar heater to SWCG. You can see pic 1, looks like a small space ship

Did i do something wrong?
    Eddie

Nothing wrong. I assumed it was a spring check to control the pressure going into the solar dome. What I do see is that with the 3-way set to allow flow to both the dome inlet and outlet that the pressure on both sides of the dome would be equal and the flow would be from filter to SWG to pool just bypassing the (pressurized) solar dome. I may be missing something.

BigDave

I'm sorry, yes the bypass valve was set there but that was just to take pictures.

Otherwise it set between 1 & 2 which allows half feed to solar heater and full feed to tee, is this correct, after thinking about it and speaking to you it doesn't seem right.

Here is a link to the manual.

http://www.poolmaster.com/wp-content..._10-4-2012.pdf

Please advise if I should change my connections?
    Last edited by eblade21; 08-25-2014 at 02:51 PM.
    Eddie

You have the connections the same but in the book the bypass line would provide alot more resistance to the flow than the short piece of smooth pipe in your setup. That said, I doubt your pump is more than 1/3 HP and if it's not, you can safely run the entire flow through the solar by turning the bypass valve to position 3 blocking the bypass pipe.

Big Dave

Thank you, my pump is a 1/2 HP intex sand filter pump. Now that you mentioned it it does make sense to shut the bypass and run thru the heater back into the pool. I was scared of the pump size to blow the solar heater or cause more problems.

What can i do to rectify this, should i connect this in a different manner or keep this the same?
    Eddie

If the pump is 1/2 HP (surprising , but OK) then, by the book, you shouldn't put all the flow (pressure) through the solar dome. Without a pressure gauge (or limit), I suppose you should play with all the available bypass valve settings except "all solar" to find the greatest heat input to the pool throughout the day. I know, hard to do.

+ Reply to Thread