+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Solar Heater, Brand, Cost and Hookup

Default Solar Heater, Brand, Cost and Hookup

Hi all

As i continue to make paradise in my backyard with my summer escapes pro series 14' x 42". Now I am shopping for a solar heater.
    Here are my intentions, my pool has made a home 4' from my garage and my garage is 8 ft high. I like to mount the solar panels (or recommended product) on the roof. I am using a Intex sand filter pump model # 28645EG here the specs and a Intex SWCG.

Pump Motor - .5 HP
    Pump Flow Rate - 2100 gph (7.9 m3/hr)
    System Flow Rate - 1600 gph (6.0 m3/hr)

I was also thinking of running a separate pump (which is the leftover summer escapes pump) to a sprinkler set up from the solar panel instead of taking away anything from the intex pump, i know i would have to tee the supply line with a bypass valve.

I was thinking of the following http://www.solardirect.com/pool_heat.../ecosaver.html

Please assist i can really use everyone input.

Thank you in advance
    Eddie

On another note why can't intex make their electric heater for the USA, they only offer it for Europe.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Solar Heater, Brand, Cost and Hookup

Sounds like it should work. One caution, the pump may not ba able to generate enough head to get the water to the roof. Can you rig a garden hose to the ouput of the S.E. pump? Get water pumping through the hose then lift the open end to above the mount height of the panels.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

BigDave
    Your always here to the rescue

I can mount the the pump on the roof,

Please look at the diagram and advise if this how you like me to hook it up, as far as the garden hose are you referring to supply my own water flow to the pump, then the diagram wouldnt work

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

It's far more likely that the pump would be able to push the water up than pull it up. I wouldn't even try to put the pump up high.

I didn't mean that the garden hose should be used for the solar panels but to test if the pump can push the water up to the roof.

Perhaps both pumps in series would help. Install a T after the filter with one leg going to the pump for the solar loop and the other back to the pool.
    Install a valve between the T and the pool to shunt all the water to the solar pump when it's closed.
    Install another T between the valve and the pool and use this to return the heated water to the pool.

Also your picture shows water entering at the top of the panel, it should enter at the bottom and leave the top so as to push the air out of the panel as it fills.

Consider how to winterize the panel as well. Are you going to remove it? If not, it'll have to be drained and dried and so will the piping.

If you mount it to the roof with screws, put in the screw, then remove it and fill the hole with roof sealant, then put it back in. Maybe even cover the head of the screw with sealant unless you're going to remove the panel. If youre going to remove the panel, you'll need to leave the screws in so the roof won't leak.

Big Dave,

Makes sense to run the S.E. Pump in series after the intex pump and before the SWCG. The T fitting make a lot of sense. As far as mounting the solar panel, I will probably stick to draining all the lines via adjustable pressure compressor like sprinkler lines.

Any company or brand you might recommend for a solar kit so many bad reviews or just not enough reviews? I would love an electric heater, but i do not know of any companies that offer such a heater for such a small pool. Bestway, Intex make electric heaters but only available in Europe.

Big Dave

First i will try to run the pump separate without the t fitting according to the garden hose method, the S.E. Pump is a 1000 GPH pump.

It sounds like we may still be misunderstanding each other - sorry. I only discussed the garden hose as a means to test whether or not the pump would be able to push water all the way up to the roof.

I'd plumb the entire solar loop after the SWCG. You may also face a challenge with the SWCG, it probably requires a minimum flow or pressure to work.

BigDave

No need to apologize, you have been such a great help and informational teacher. I have been looking to scrap the idea of a solar heater for my pool and looking into an electric heater, cost will be more but i think it will be more effective. I been searching for a heater, from reading most information i see i will need probably a 5.5kw heater for about a 3600 gallon pool. I came across this little heater which is pretty unique http://www.waveheater.com/. I have read also spa heater are no safe or recommend for a pool.

Please Please Please give me some light on electric heater, for my size pool.

That is scary. I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

I know that Long Island has some of the highest electric rates in the country - Have you figured the cost to operate? The electrician to install your new 30Amp 240V GFCI won't be free either.

I looked at that thing... $500!!?!?!?! The pool didn't cost that much!!! No way... and it's 220-240V!!! WHAT!?

IMHO... I smell SPAM... Just sayin'...
    5.2k gal 16' x 48" Summer Escapes AG, Intex 2650 Sand Filter. PF=23

+ Reply to Thread