+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Solar Heater, Brand, Cost and Hookup

Default Re: Solar Heater, Brand, Cost and Hookup

Big Dave

According to my manual and the website I purchased the unit from here are the specs of my pump

Intex sand filter pump model # 28645EG

Pump Motor - .5 HP
    Pump Flow Rate - 2100 gph (7.9 m3/hr)
    System Flow Rate - 1600 gph (6.0 m3/hr)

Please understand I never doubt your knowledge I understand exactly what your stating maybe I am wrong, which won't be a surprise. I will review my findings via google, but please remember I trust your knowledge I only be doing this a couple of month where you been doing this for years along with everyone here.

For the record I wouldn't have been so successful in my pool without your knowledge and everyone else's.

Please let me know if I should pipe this differently?
    Eddie
    Summer Escapes 14' Pro-Series 4047 gallons, Intex 12 inch sand pump, Intex SWCG, Intex 2500 GPH Filter Pump, surrounded by Vinyl Works Fence using a Taylor K-2006C and Taylor K-1766, Sungrabber 4 x 12 feet Solar Collector, Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235, 12 mil Clear Solar Blanket

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were wrong. I believe you. I'm just surprised that it's rated that high. I'm also surprized it's rated in horsepower and not just GPH. Compare it to a 1/2HP Hayward Superpump which is rated for 48GPM(2880GPH) into 20' head or the 1/2HP Hayward PowerFlowII which is rated for 45GPM(2640GPH) into 20' of head. It would be interesting to learn just how much head pressure is figured into System Flow Rate.

Anyway. The solar dome you have may be rated for the Intex pump market or for the traditional market. I don't know. So, to maintain compliance with the instructions, always leave the bypass link open.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Just my 2¢:

Remember that the temperature of the water in the heater isn't what's going to heat your pool, it's the throughput of water warmer than the pool that does it. The more water you can get through your heater, the faster your pool will warm up, even if the heater water is only 1 degree warmer. BTUs/KCalories are what you need, not temperature. The limiting factor of how much water you push through your solar system should be the maximum gpm system can stand without leaking or the pump's maximum GPM, whichever is lower.
    Carl

CarlD

Absolutely understand, and Big Dave and yourself make perfect sense.

I have decided to to run my solar heater on a totally separate pump, which I am modifying this weekend. I feel I can run the heater totally separate from my sand pump will make better sense and do not have to worry about 3 way valves. With that i will eliminate the check valve and add another return to the pool.

Will supply pictures this weekend and advise how it went.
    Eddie
    Summer Escapes 14' Pro-Series 4047 gallons, Intex 12 inch sand pump, Intex SWCG, Intex 2500 GPH Filter Pump, surrounded by Vinyl Works Fence using a Taylor K-2006C and Taylor K-1766, Sungrabber 4 x 12 feet Solar Collector, Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235, 12 mil Clear Solar Blanket

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'd use a really small pump to save elec. W/o a filter it will movw a lot of water.
    Carl

Hi all

I visited this last year and wanted to follow and advise what i have decided. Since we last spoke i ordered Sungrabber (FAFCO) Solar collector 2 x 2' by 12', these are being mounted on the roof facing south. I also ordered a Aqua Solar GL-235 controller. In the meantime i added a separate filter pump 1/2 HP 2500 GPH pump I have included some pictures. I also started the hard plumb, I also added a sprinkler to cool down the water on hot hot summer days.

I have altered the set up recommendation from Sungrabber, to suit what i think will work for me.

Big Dave and Carl would you be able to assist and provide some feedback.

Thank you all enjoy
    Eddie

Hi all

I just reached out to Sungrabber/Fafco they supplied me this diagram as a setup, can someone please assist and advise which setup is better or makes more sense.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Eddie

+ Reply to Thread