+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Solar Heater, Brand, Cost and Hookup

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Solar Heater, Brand, Cost and Hookup

No problem.

I still say... SPAM....
    5.2k gal 16' x 48" Summer Escapes AG, Intex 2650 Sand Filter. PF=23

I meant to send (LMAO) to Waldog.

Why is my name come up that i cant be trusted?

Big Dave

Would you recommend this setup?

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I'm suggesting more like the following:
    pool
    |
    New Pump
    |
    New Filter
    |
    SWCG
    |
    Tee-->To Solar Loop (below)
    |
    Valve
    |
    Tee<--From Solar Loop
    |
    Pool

Solar Loop:
    Tee (To)
    |
    Solar Loop Pump (ground level)
    |
    Panels on roof
    |
    Tee (From)

I also suggest you to test the pump or pump combo to be sure you can pump water up to the roof.

Cool Re: Solar Heater, Brand, Cost and Hookup

Hi all

I need some help of course if no one minds here is where I am currently I just purchased one of those dome panels and bypass kit, before my decision I decided to monitor my back yard and see where can lay this on the floor where I can receive all the sun rays thru out the day, I sat outside all day from sunrise to sunset. I luckily found a perfect location right next to my pool but completely opposite of my sand pump. I like to stay with my screw type connections of 1.5 inch hoses. I also purchased a 16 mil clear solar cover to assist in maintaing the heat in.

I like to connect the panel in this manner:

Pool
    |
    Sand pump
    |
    Bypass valve
    | |
    Solar in Tee
    | |
    Solar out SWCG
    |
    Pool

I'll explain from the pool to my sand filter pump I will connect the bypass valve one leg will go to the solar panel feed one leg will go to another tee from that tee one leg will go to the solar out supply and one leg to the SWCG from there returned to the pool.

1.Do you feel this will work?
    2.Do you feel using one panel do I need a bypass valve? I like the idea because in the early afternoon I can run my pump just filtering the water and the solar heater, and at night I can run my pump with the SWCG without the solar heater?
    3.If you scroll to the beginning of the thread you see my current pump specs, will this be enough to travel around the other side of the pool figure about an additional 10 ft of hose?
    4.If I just use the bypass valve after the filter, can I use just a sprinkler set up coming out of the solar dome? Which I wouldn't have to run a hose back to the return just right out of the dome to a PVC sprinkler?

I also thought of buying a separate pump like one of those intex 637r just to run the solar dome heater? Your thoughts.

Everyone here has made my pool breathtaking and beside a light all that left is heat, I like to extend to at least to the end of September that why I decided on a pool solar heater.

I am really sorry for all the questions, sorry for being all over the place thank you for all your help

Eddie
    Eddie
    Summer Escapes 14' Pro-Series 4047 gallons, Intex 12 inch sand pump, Intex SWCG, Intex 2500 GPH Filter Pump, surrounded by Vinyl Works Fence using a Taylor K-2006C and Taylor K-1766, Sungrabber 4 x 12 feet Solar Collector, Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235, 12 mil Clear Solar Blanket

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

That eliminates the static head of putting the solar collector on the garage roof. I don't think 10" of extra hose will be a problem. I'm not following the line diagram. Is the bypass valve a three-way valve? Where do the solar line and bypass line rejoin?

Big Dave

Thank you for the response I have attached a diagram on 2 options, Please feel free to add and comment, i like the best choice from the professional like yourself.

One more question should i stay with 1.5 inch hoses or drop to 1.25 inch hoses?

Eddie
    Summer Escapes 14' Pro-Series 4047 gallons, Intex 12 inch sand pump, Intex SWCG, Intex 2500 GPH Filter Pump, surrounded by Vinyl Works Fence using a Taylor K-2006C and Taylor K-1766, Sungrabber 4 x 12 feet Solar Collector, Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235, 12 mil Clear Solar Blanket

Option 1 looks good. I don't really get option 2. Why a sprinkler? I seems to me that would cool the water you just heated.

If you can keep it 1.5" you'll have better flow.

I am not a pro. Please understand, my advice is only that of a fellow residential pool owner. But thanks, I'm flattered.

BigDave

I considered option 2 for the simple reason to just have the sprinkler effect. I do understand it would cool the water, but in theory if there is warm water in the dome it would it still cool the water? Another option was to add a another diverter (return valve) to the pool instead of the sprinkler.

I feel option 1 is better they designed the system like that so i assume that would be the perfect setup.

The next mission is to find fittings to adapt screw-in hoses I really hate screw clamps, they rust and actually look horrible after a while. I found fitting to screw into the 3 way valve and the tee, but now i need fittings to screw into the inex hoses. I want to keep the intex hose type to screw into everything.

Thanks you Big Dave.
    Eddie

+ Reply to Thread