+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you handle friends who... turn out to be pool moochers

Default How do you handle friends who... turn out to be pool moochers

How do you handle friends who think your place is an all inclusive??? We cook out regularly and have one couple (close friends) who hardly contribute to the meal, like to drink our drinks..forget their towels at home etc etc....ugggggg! Its about to start affecting our friendship.
    Tulsa OK ~ 30X20 in ground

Default Re: How do you handle friends who...

Stop inviting them... start saying you are going out... or won't be home, etc. Once a mooch, always a mooch. And if you're not OK with basically cutting them off, and you still want their company... well, when they call or text asking to come over, tell them to bring something. If they do, great, if not, it's definitely time to cut them off.
    5.2k gal 16' x 48" Summer Escapes AG, Intex 2650 Sand Filter. PF=23

yeh...i always tell them to bring something and they bring minimal - Im going to start getting blunt.
    Tulsa OK ~ 30X20 in ground

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Maybe assign them chores? Clean the kitchen - "Phew, katie, I'm tired. Would you please load the dishwasher, take care of the pots and pans and wipe down the counters? Thanks, I need to sit down for a while" and "Bob, let me show you how our washer and dryer work. Sure do go through alot of towels when you have a pool. You know, it's great we're close enough that we can ask you to help out." and "Bob, Katie, great! your just in time. We're out of ice. The 7-11 is just down the street. I think four or five eight pound bags should fill the coolers."

I have learned that alot of people are willing and happy to pitch in but are completely clueless and need to be shown.

I don't actually know a Bob and Katie, so if you are Bob and Katie, don't be offended. I don't know you. I suppose I just figured out why nobody wants to come to my house anymore.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Yeah sounds like a mooch! I have a "friend" who up and quit his job, starting coming around, eating my food, drinking my drinks... finally when this friend would text me about hanging out, I would just be like... nah... I have plans this weekend. Have to do XYZ. Not going to be home, whatever I could think of.

Can't deal with it. Don't want to be blunt because I hate to end the relationship that way. I'm hoping when the friend gets back on their feet things will change, or maybe get the hint because I'm always "busy".

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Maybe assign them chores? Clean the kitchen - "Phew, katie, I'm tired. Would you please load the dishwasher, take care of the pots and pans and wipe down the counters? Thanks, I need to sit down for a while" and "Bob, let me show you how our washer and dryer work. Sure do go through alot of towels when you have a pool. You know, it's great we're close enough that we can ask you to help out." and "Bob, Katie, great! your just in time. We're out of ice. The 7-11 is just down the street. I think four or five eight pound bags should fill the coolers."

I have learned that alot of people are willing and happy to pitch in but are completely clueless and need to be shown.

I don't actually know a Bob and Katie, so if you are Bob and Katie, don't be offended. I don't know you. I suppose I just figured out why nobody wants to come to my house anymore.
    LOL!!!! That's awesome... For the most part, most people I know are pretty good about this. In fact they usually go overboard and leave stuff behind, which is always bad because it's just me and my significant other so usually we can't consume the party surplus. LOL I try to make them take stuff home but usually they won't.

It always seems the "moochy" ones want to come over often... I find myself hiding drinks or food... this is probably a bad sign. I have asked for favors though. The one friend trims trees and I did get him to help me with a few projects I needed on my property, so that's a plus.

But sometimes they just won't LEAVE and I wind up out of food and drink. My better half really gets annoyed. But my giving nature really does not let me get as upset as I probably should be.

LOL

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

On the other hand, somtime you have to find a stick and scrape it off your shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    On the other hand, somtime you have to find a stick and scrape it off your shoe.
    True... might be time to stop answering the phone. LOL

My typical response to these types would be to say something like, "Hey guys, when are you gonna have a party at your place? Momma Splash and me would love to flop over with ya' at your crib all night long!!!"

Be sure to raid the fridge if you get invited
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit. PF=6

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You guys are cracking me up!

How about inviting them over and serving no food, no drinks, and have no clean towels available?

+ Reply to Thread