+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY Pool Building

QiingGuy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst QiingGuy 0

Default DIY Pool Building

We're planning on starting our new in ground pool around November this year. Final quote came in at $55,000 (not including landscaping, ad that in and we're at $90,000) and I'm looking for ways to save some money. I was speaking with a neighbor and he suggested I look at doing a DIY project, not building myself, rather serving as general contractor and using a consultant who will advise and come out for inspections. He did this and claims he saved about 20% on his build. Anyone done anything like this? There's a local company here who sells a DIY kit that walks you through the process too.

Anyone have any thoughts here?

Default Re: DIY Pool Building

Quote Originally Posted by QiingGuy View Post
    We're planning on starting our new in ground pool around November this year. Final quote came in at $55,000 (not including landscaping, ad that in and we're at $90,000) and I'm looking for ways to save some money. I was speaking with a neighbor and he suggested I look at doing a DIY project, not building myself, rather serving as general contractor and using a consultant who will advise and come out for inspections. He did this and claims he saved about 20% on his build. Anyone done anything like this? There's a local company here who sells a DIY kit that walks you through the process too.

Anyone have any thoughts here?
    Go with an above ground real AGP... or Intex type... save lots of money, and get rid of it when your tired or the kids are grown. Save about $80k for retirement.
    5.2k gal 16' x 48" Summer Escapes AG, Intex 2650 Sand Filter. PF=23

LOL, trust me, we've thought about that.

We have a temporary solution of an Intex up right now. Unfortunately our HOA doesn't allow above ground pools so it's temporary until someone turns me in.

I am in the same boat right now. (check out my other posts). My project is much smaller than yours, with the pool size being only 13.5 X 25. Local builders quoted me upwards of $28K (including standard pavers). So far, doing it myself, I can get it for $18,750 including travertine pavers. So as you could see not only am I saving close to 10K but I may end up with a better quality finish. This forum and www.howibuiltmyownpool.com helped me a bit. I also called a pool repairs company and offered to pay them a small consulting fee (south of $750) to have them serve as private inspectors throughout the project and to answer any real time questions that can't wait for forum friends' response.

Good luck!
    Newbie building a 12.5 X 25 pool by owner.

Interesting, I'd be very interested in your thoughts (worth it?), heck, you're on track for about a 33% savings over your builder. How far along are you in the build?

That was something else someone pointed out, not only did they save money, they were able to upgrade the pool features.
    Intex Ultra 16' x 48 5,061 gallons, Intex SWG, Intex 1,500 gph pump K2006, Unicel, city water

I guess I will tell you if it was worth it when I am done. Right now I am still in the final stages of the plan approval. This process has dragged on for longer than typical because I am requesting pool to be moved closer to the property line than the code allows. I should be ready to start digging in three weeks. I have wasted no time in reaching out and getting estimates from most subcontractor already (plan engineer, excavation, rebar, plaster, plumber, engineer and pavers installer). I am only missing equipment selection, which is the reason why I created a new thread this morning.

I've been lucky (and sneaky), that two other neighbors have been building their new pool for the past month or so...and I've been able to collect phone numbers of all trucks that park outside of their house. This is the way I have actually be able to get great pricing by calling the same subcontractors that builders are using. I offer to pay cash, and tell them I am flexible with my hours, and so far I have been amazed at the savings.

My only recommendation so far: if you are not afraid to get your hands dirty by calling, haggling, and scheduling contractors, then don't do it. Luckily I have some experience dealing with them after remodeling my house recently.
    Newbie building a 12.5 X 25 pool by owner.

+ Reply to Thread