+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie - In The research/quote Phase

Default Newbie - In The research/quote Phase

Hi Everyone

We are in the research and quoting phase. So far we are looking towards a 16 x 32 rectangle with the following:
    Aquacal heat pump
    Aquacal salt chlorine generator
    Debating a variable speed pump

Getting a firm quote tomorrow with models of the equipment above. What do you think of a heat pump in a northern climate? We live 25 miles north of Detroit. Should we go with a heat pump or stick with NG?

Thanks for any advice.

Cale

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Newbie - In The research/quote Phase

I don't know about the Aquacal unit , but heat pumps should work for any temperature range you're willing to stand around outside in a wet bathing suit. Other than that, heat pumps cost more up front but are cheaper to operate.

I have a variable speed pump, but, they are expensive and more susceptible to power quality issues than standard motors. A properly sized 2-speed pump will also provide electrical efficiency at a lower price and greater indifference to power quality problems.

Sorry, I just now got to your post. What did you decide?
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I, too am curious. Heat pumps got a bad rep in northern climates when used for HEATING a house, because below a certain temperature, they switch over from reverse air-conditioning to straight resistance heating, which is both very expensive and usually requires more BTUs than the resistance coils can put out. So heat pump houses from about the Virginia suburbs of the Washington DC area to parts North they are a dreadful mistake.

But....as BD points out, unless you plan on using your pool when the outside air temp is in the 30's or lower, a heat pump is going to work pretty well. And, once you are into the 50's and above, you are getting into the heat pump's "sweet spot" where it is most efficient.
    Carl

Went with the heat pump. Permits were a complete pain so they just dug the hole this week. Wow is the backyard torn up. I knew this going in.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

membership updated. . .

+ Reply to Thread