+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Iron In My Water

Default Iron In My Water

I accidentally left my well water run into my pool overnight several nights ago. I awoke to a mess of brownish green metallic water. I immediately treated the water with about 70 ounces of Hydroxyethylidene Disphosphonic Acid Acid (HTH Metal Control). I ran the pump 24/7 and within hours things were getting better and as of last night my pool was once again crystal clear. I shut the pump off. Today I get home from work and Whamo, the metal is back and the pool looks like crap. What can you offer up for help? I did put towels in the pool and a washcloth in the skimmer, all grabbed a bunch of iron. When I backwash, lots of brownish water is removed.

TC 4.0
    FC 4.0
    PH 7.8
    CYA 80
    TA 130
    17,500 Gallon above ground, Hayward 150 pound sand filter containing 75 pounds of Zeobright, 1.0 HP pump, Rheem natural gas heater
    My results are generated from a Taylor K2006 kit.

27' round 17.5K gal AG pool; Bleach; Hayward 150 pound sand filter; Hayward 1.0 hp pump; 12hrs; Taylor K-2006; well; summer: ; winter: ; iPad; PF:6.9

Default Re: Iron In My Water

Update. I added 32 more ounces of HTH Metal control and ran the pump 24/7 again. The water is back to being crystal clear again after 2 days. If someone has any information on this please offer it up. Also, a lesson leared is that this metal control is an acid so it kills your PH. I am in the process of aerating to bring it back up.
    17,500 Gallon above ground, Hayward 150 pound sand filter containing 75 pounds of Zeobright, 1.0 HP pump, Rheem natural gas heater
    My results are generated from a Taylor K2006 kit.

27' round 17.5K gal AG pool; Bleach; Hayward 150 pound sand filter; Hayward 1.0 hp pump; 12hrs; Taylor K-2006; well; summer: ; winter: ; iPad; PF:6.9

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

If you're not trying to reduce TA, you can just add Borax to raise pH. Be careful, raising the pH can make the metal come out of solution.

The HEDP keeps metals in solution but doesn't remove them. CuLater packets seem to remove metals slowly. PoolDoc has been recommending an approach to metal removal that involves encouraging the metal to come out of solution onto the filter by putting cal-hypo tabs in the skimmer, creating a high chlorine, high pH area before the filter. He's away for a while but is you search others iron in water threads you might be able to get the idea.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

PoolDoc had me use this process and I am now metal-free. The only difference was that I used cal-hypo in granular form. Worked a treat!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread