+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Owner

Default New Pool Owner

Good afternoon! We got our new 24' above ground almost 2 weeks ago. So far so good...the water is pretty balance (alkalinity is high) and the water is clear. We've been enjoying it despite cooler temps. Looks like lots of good info on this website...

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New Pool Owner

Hi and welcome to the Pool Forum!

Tell us what all you have added to the pool so far.

Do you have a drops-based test kit? If so, what type? Post some current water testing results. Then, somebody here can take a look and see if there is any tweaking we can help you with.

Thanks for the welcome! This place is great. We currently are using the AquaChek test strips. After reading on here, it sounds like this is the thing to get: Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006. Correct?

We've been using the chlorine tablets in the Vision system and have also been using pH down. This mornings reading looked like this on my test strips:
    pH 7.8-8.4 (closer to 8.4)
    free chlorine 3
    total alkalinity 240
    stabilizer 90

Looks like I need to bring pH down more and really get alkalinity down...

Suggestions?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You are right that you want the K2006 but you won't be able to find it locally. You can get it through this link:> http://pool9.net/tk/

In the meantime, see if Walmart has an HTH 6-Way drops-based kit and get that. If not, pick up an OTO/Phenel Red kit (yellow and red drops). Test and report numbers. We just don't trust 'guess-strips.'

While you are at Walmart, get several jugs of their generic 8.25% bleach, unscented. Also, pick up a gallon of distilled water.

What are the ingredients in the tabs you are using? How many more do you have and are they wrapped or unwrapped? I don't know what the Vision system is. ???

Also, tell us exactly what all you have added to the pool -- ingredients and not just names like 'shock' or 'algaecide.'

Hope you enjoy being a part of the forum!

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

Great! What else do I need to do to finish registration?

Nothing on your end but patience. The rest happens on this end but it takes a little bit. We have had LOTS of new people register recently and it takes time to wade through all the registration process with each one of them. Trust me, it is worth the wait. This forum is awesome!

Glad to have you join us.

OK...here are test results:

Ch = 5
    Br = 10
    pH = 7.2
    Total Ak = 200ppm
    Hardness = 260ppm

I've used pH down (sodium bisulfate) and Crystal Blue 1" Chlor Tabs (trichloro-s-triazinetrione). I've been using the http://boldtpools.ca/products/sanita...ith-cartridge/ system. I was told by a local pool guy/friend to skip this Vision system and just throw the tablets in the skimmer. The system also has a mineral cartridge in it. Anyway...that's where we're at.

Thanks!

I should also add that I picked up the bleach and distiller water. Next move? Water is crystal clear, by the way!

I'm suspicious of those tabs. Do they have copper listed as an ingredient? Also, get rid of the mineral cartridge. You do NOT want metals in your pool! Most people think it is chlorine that causes staining and turns light-colored hair green. But, it is copper that does it, not chlorine!

You'll want to add a little Borax to bump your pH up some. Start with about a cup added slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running, breaking up any clumps. After a few hours, retest and add more if needed. You can also work on lowering your alkalinity. Steps are here:> http://pool9.net/alk-step and also read:> http://pool9.net/muriatic/

If your tabs have no copper in them, (and with a name like 'blue' I am guessing that they do), you can use them. But, if they have copper in them don't.

You can ignore the bromine column on the tester. This is a chlorine pool, not a bromine pool. Go ahead and order the K2006.

Report back on the ingredients of the tabs.

It does not say copper anywhere...just Nature's Way Crystal Blue 1" Chlor Tabs (trichloro-s-triazinetrione = 99%, other ingredients = 1%). Assuming there is copper...what should I be using? As for the Borax, any particular kind?

+ Reply to Thread