+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New owner installing this week

Default New owner installing this week

How long usually from time of fill till safe for swimming? Recommendations on automatic pool cleaners?

12.5x21.5 oval wilbar above ground alluminum pool installed semi inground heywood xtreme 150 cartridge filter with 1.5 hp pump

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New owner installing this week

You can swim as soon as you get some chlorine in the water and the pH is between 7-8. We have a Super Simple Start-up Recipe that is perfect for a pool like yours. You can read about it here:> http://pool9.net/ssr/

What is the volume of the pool? I have a feeling that your pump is way too big for your setup. In the case of pool pumps, bigger is NOT better.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

I think around 7600-7800 gallons. Don't have it in front of me. Pool guy threw in the upgraded filter for free and it comes with the bigger pump

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If you can, you're going to want to exchange that pump for something smaller. 1.5hp is overkill for your pool. We see this all the time particularly on AG pools. Pump/filter combos are sold that are badly mismatched. Pool stores tell customers, "Oh, we'll upgrade to this great big pump for you." Customers don't know any better and think, hey, what a nice guy! But, in reality, it is not good. You don't want a big pump. You want a smaller pump paired with a larger filter. I'm not that familiar with cartridge filter sizes so I'll let someone else advise you more about this combo but I do know that you really don't want that big pump. The power of a too big pump can destroy cartridges or if it is a sand filter, can force debris right through the sand bed without filter.

If it is at all possible, don't install your pump and filter yet and see if you can exchange it for something else. Honestly, I'd go with a sand filter if you have the option rather than the cartridge. Much easier to use and maintain for most people. (I will tell you that all the mods on this forum and I think many of the support team people have sand filters.)

Let me see if I can find one of pump/filter people to chime in here and offer you a better combination in the hopes that it is not too late for you to make a change. I hope it isn't too late. You're going to be sorry you have that big pump, I'm afraid.

Appreciate the info. I agree pump was too big. I gotta be honest he did say upgraded filter so maybe he is pairing it with the smaller pump. I don't have it in my possession yet I had read and heard that cartridge filters systems were pretty easy and actually filtered better than sand but not as good as DE as long as you rinse filter and replace when needed I am really going by what the pool guy was recommending. He installed a few friends pool and they recommended him highly. I haven't maintained a pool since I was a teenager ( many years ago) and it was a sand filter.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Get the smaller the pump if you can but I wouldn't be too concerned because a 1.5 HP AG pump is not usually that powerful anyway and not that over powered for a 150 sq-ft filter. I think the Xtreme comes with a Matrix and a 1.5 HP has a flow rate of around 53 GPM which puts the flow rate right below the APSP recommendations of 0.375 GPM/sq-ft so it should be ok.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread