+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot raise CYA

QiingGuy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst QiingGuy 0

Default Cannot raise CYA

Intex 16 x48" approx 4,800 gallons, Intex SWG

For the life if me I cannot raise my CYA over 30. I've used approximately 2 lbs of Leslie's conditioner and that got me to 30. Then approximately 3 lbs of HTH Stabilizer & Conditioner (maybe .3 lbs still in sock) and I'm still sitting at 30. I just put the remaining 1 lb of HTH in a warm bucket of water to dissolve and I'll throw in the pool tonight to see if that helps. Any suggestions? I'm trying to get to 80 ppm.

I'm currently running my SWG 2 hours per day AND adding 1 cup of bleach to the pool daily.

Here are my other numbers:
    FAC - 2
    TAC - 2
    Salt - 3,100
    TA - 110
    pH - 7.5
    Copper - 0 (I disconnected the copper connection on my SWG)
    Iron - 0
    Phho - 100

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Cannot raise CYA

How long ago did you add all of this stuff? I think you are likely going to find out that your overshot your target by quite a bit. Adding 5 lbs. of CYA to a 4800 gallon pool should add about 135ppm!! Don't add that last pound!!

What is the source of your fill water? You might want consider draining almost half of the water and refilling. That would put you at about the target you wanted.

@Watermom - I HAVE NOT ADDED TODAY'S APPLICATION YET and will hold off until I receive further expert advice.

I added the original 2 lbs on June 19, 2014. The follow-up HTC application was done on July 5, 2014. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Either a couple of days prior to or after I did the HTC application I needed to add a cup of Klean Strip Green Muriatic acid to lower my pH. Don't know if this could effect my CYA level or not but thought I'd throw it out there just to be safe.

The original application was dissolved in a 5 gallon bucket and added to the pool (this application got me to 30). Second application was done in sock hanging off the side near in-let or out-let forget terminology (water coming into pool). I have approximately .3 lbs left in sock. It appears the second application has not raised CYA at all.

Source is from hose/city water. Why drain, I'm 50 ppm from where I need to be. Confused . . .

EDIT: One last thing, I've done three separate tests. One my own, and two at separate Leslie's locations.
    Last edited by QiingGuy; 07-18-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: additional info

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

2 lbs should have added about 55ppm. 3 more lbs. should have added an additional 80ppm.

But......... hold on. Those numbers were based on a volume of 4800 that you reported. I just now calculated your volume. I don't think you have 4800 gallons. I think you have more like 5600 gallons.

So, in 5600 gallons, 5 lbs. of stabilizer should have added 115ppm of CYA.

I don't know why you're not getting a reading. What kit are you using to test with?

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    I don't know why you're not getting a reading. What kit are you using to test with?
    I tested with a Taylor K-2006, then I had two separate Leslie's stores test.

Have you had any algae outbreaks since you added the CYA?

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Also, has the pool been losing water more than normal (i.e. leak)?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Have you had any algae outbreaks since you added the CYA?
    Nope, crystal clear, really no issues other than I'm still needing to add bleach daily as my SWG cannot keep-up . . . could be worse I know but I'd really like to get to a place where the SWG handles everything and I'm not adding bleach every day.

Just checked my manual and at 90% filled my pool holds 5,061 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Also, has the pool been losing water more than normal (i.e. leak)?
    Nope. Topped off a week ago tomorrow and I'd say it's dropped maybe an inch or two and much of that is due to kids splashing around.

Let me ask PoolDoc to see if he sees anything I am missing.

+ Reply to Thread