+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot raise CYA

QiingGuy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst QiingGuy 0

Default Re: Cannot raise CYA

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    There is something in your pool causing high CC. This is what is using up your chlorine. It could be the same thing that is consuming your CYA as well. You need to shock the pool and keep it at shock levels until FC equals TC and FC holds overnight.
    Forgive my ignorance how do I shock it? Currious that the only notes from the pool store (wife took it in) was to lower pH using MA. EDIT: Just read the manual for my SWG and it says I can use it to shock the pool by pressing the boost button. It will run 8 times the normal time so in my case 16 hours. Also, I read and realized I've been running my SWG one hour short every day for my current temp I need to be running it 3 hours vs. 2. So, press the boost button and let it run 16 hours to shock or is there another way?

Also, this is what my SWG looks like. Could the white stuff have anything to do with chlorine not being made? When it's on it does bubble which the manual says is it making chlorine.

Last edited by QiingGuy; 07-26-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Don't use your boost setting to shock the pool. That just wears out your cell faster. Just add bleach. Tell me your volume and I'll help you figure out doses of bleach. Also, please make a signature so that we don't constantly have to scroll through threads looking for info. Put your type and size of pool, volume, type of equipment you have, and that you have a K2006. You can make a signature by clicking on the link in my signature below.

EDIT -- Also put well or city water.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Tell me your volume and I'll help you figure out doses of bleach.
    5,061 gallons.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

After seeing your volume, I remember doing this before somewhere up in this long thread. In a 5061 gallon pool, each quart of 8.25% bleach will add about 4ppm of chlorine. Each cup will add 1ppm. Use those as a reference to figure out how much bleach you should add to get to shock level which is based on your CYA. http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

Based on my CYA level chart says I need to take it to 20ppm so 5 quarts of bleach should do it, right? Do I run the pump while pouring in and how long should I run the pump after? Thanks @watermom.
    Intex Ultra 16' x 48 5,061 gallons, Intex SWG, Intex 1,500 gph pump K2006, Unicel, city water

To shock you need to keep your FC level at least 30% of your CYA reading. That is... At a reading of 70 cya, your minimum shock level would be 21FC. Run your pump 24/7 and turn off your SWG. Keep the shock level up until you do not loose more than 1 FC overnight. Then, you can turn back on your SWG and reset your pump timer.

Based on your prior postings, your cya level is likely much higher than 70. It's just not yet showing up in the test. So, retest and adjust accordingly.
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit. PF=6

Always have your pump running when you add chlorine!

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Always have your pump running when you add chlorine!
    Thanks! Will be testing and shocking tonight. An interesting side note, my pool is crystal clear, can see bottom of the opposite side of the pool in detail. Water looks great. Shocking it won't hurt right?
    Intex Ultra 16' x 48 5,061 gallons, Intex SWG, Intex 1,500 gph pump K2006, Unicel, city water

Here are my readings prior to shocking:

FAC - 3
    TAC - 4
    Salt - 2,900
    CYA - 80 - This is my target, going to have to watch and see if it continues to rise, so glad I didn't put the remainder in
    TA - 120
    pH - 7.5
    Acid - 2
    Pho - 0
    Last edited by QiingGuy; 07-30-2014 at 03:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread