+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot raise CYA

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Cannot raise CYA

I have asked Ben to take the time to read this entire thread if he hasn't yet done so.

QiingGuy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst QiingGuy 0

@Watermom, yes I remember (in-fact I read the entire thread this a.m.). Here's a thought; the first dose I used I put in a 5 gallon bucket for a few hours to dissolve. Maybe I thought more was dissolved than actually was and when I put it in my pump sucked out what wasn't dissolved. That said, when I did my second application using the sock I followed the directions on the back of the HTH container and added recommended amount to raise to my target level.

Just thinking out loud.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If you poured the water/CYA from the bucket into your skimmer, it would have finished dissolving in the filter and should still be able to be accounted for. Did you backwash any after you added it via the skimmer? If so, how long after the application?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I don't know what's going on. Complete the pool equip form, and the pool test form, and I'll take a look:

http://pool9.net/pf-equip-form
    http://pool9.net/pf-hist-form

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    I have asked Ben to take the time to read this entire thread if he hasn't yet done so.
    I believe he has and I'm running a test he requested now.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    If you poured the water/CYA from the bucket into your skimmer, it would have finished dissolving in the filter and should still be able to be accounted for. Did you backwash any after you added it via the skimmer? If so, how long after the application?
    Sorry for the confusion. I don't have a skimmer. I dissolved the original application in about 3 gallons of warm water, stirring about every 15 minutes for 5 hours until most of it was dissolved (I thought). Then I dumped it in the pool and used a brush to spread around any granules that were on the bottom and I didn't run my pump for 24 hours to prevent the granules that were left from going into the filter. Sorry for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    2. In the early AM, add 1/2 gallon of plain 8% bleach. Make sure the pump is on. After 1 hour, test FC levels with the K2006. Don't swim for 8 hours. Test FC levels again 8 hours after dosing. Report chlorine loss.
    Test Results
    Prior to putting bleach in - 1
    After putting bleach in and pump running 1 hour - 13
    8 hours later - 3

Today's test results from pool store:
    FAC - 1.5
    TAC - 4.5
    Salt - 3,000
    CYA - 70 - It's coming-up!!!!!!
    TA - 120
    pH - 8
    Acid - 2
    Pho - 0

With your stated 5,061 gallons, 47ozs CYA gets you to 70 (from zero). You added more than that correct?

FC is to low and pH is to high. pH could be much higher as 8 is the max result from the basic test.
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit. PF=6

Quote Originally Posted by Big Splash View Post
    With your stated 5,061 gallons, 47ozs CYA gets you to 70 (from zero). You added more than that correct?

FC is to low and pH is to high. pH could be much higher as 8 is the max result from the basic test.
    Yes, lowered pH to 7.5 overnight. Ran SWG overnight thinking it would bring chlorine up but it dropped overnight to about 1. I'm starting to think my SWG isn't functioning properly. Threw some bleach in this morning after I tested.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by QiingGuy View Post
    Today's test results from pool store:
    FAC - 1.5
    TAC - 4.5

Salt - 3,000
    CYA - 70 - It's coming-up!!!!!!
    TA - 120
    pH - 8
    Acid - 2
    Pho - 0
    That is a red flag. There is something in your pool causing high CC. This is what is using up your chlorine. It could be the same thing that is consuming your CYA as well. You need to shock the pool and keep it at shock levels until FC equals TC and FC holds overnight.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread