+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot raise CYA

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Cannot raise CYA

@Big Splash --- nice avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    @Big Splash --- nice avatar.
    Thanks. You too

@ the OP, please know you need to have P.O.P. (pool owner patience) when adding chems. That is, add half of what you think you need 1st, wait till circulated and then retest. Having half the right amount is always better than having twice the wrong amount.
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit. PF=6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

My local Lowes has plain "Crown Brand" 31% MA in the paint section for about $8/gal.

They also have 2 gal boxes of Kem-Tek MA, but I haven't read the label on those, so I'm not sure about them. However, the MSDS sheet indicates that these are just a 50:50 dilution of standard MA, and would be fine to use. The 15% strength acid barely fumes, so it's easier to work with . . . but you STILL need gloves and glasses, and STILL need to read the MA page: http://pool9.net/ma/

QiingGuy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst QiingGuy 0

A little good news, wife took sample in for test yesterday and my CYA is at 50! Do the experts here think it will continue rising? All of the conditioner in the sock is now gone, has been since the weekend. Reminder, I added the original 2 lbs on June 19, 2014. The follow-up HTC application was done on July 5, 2014.

I still have the remainder of the HTH conditioner sitting in a 5 gallon bucket on my patio with I'd say 1/2 of it dissolved. I could pour the liquid in and leave the undissolved granules out. I'll wait for advice.

I tested this morning and I had just under 1 ppm of chlorine. Per instruction I added 1/2 gallon of bleach and ran the pump for 1 hour and tested. It took it up to about 13ppm. I'll test again at 8 hours.

It's going to be a hot one today, 110 here in Vegas so I'll be looking at worse case scenario I suppose.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I'd wait a week, and see.

However, dealer pool tests are generally NOT trustworthy. Unless they used the cloudy water / disappearing dot method (or a spectrophotometric equivalent), that test result may be meaningless. Get a K2006!

@PoolDoc - The store she took it to did/does the cloudy water/disappearing dot method. She said he did it twice with the same result.

I have the test kit, however, it doesn't seem to come with many tests so when convenient I've been taking it in for testing. Last time I tested I got the same reading as store on samples taken at same time.

I'll wait on adding the additional CYA water.

OK, that's fine. You're fortunate to have access to a store that does reliable testing!

Per http://www.poolcalculator.com

34ozs is what gets you to 50 (from zero). If you've added more, expect a higher reading in your next test.
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit. PF=6

Quote Originally Posted by Big Splash View Post
    Per http://www.poolcalculator.com

34ozs is what gets you to 50 (from zero). If you've added more, expect a higher reading in your next test.
    Going off of memory here, I've added between 64 and 80 oz. of conditioner, so based on this I should be off the charts by now right? Can it take upwards of 6 weeks for CYA to reach it's peak?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If you recall, this was my concern back in post #2 above. The amount of CYA you added (your reported adding 5lbs.) should have added approximately 115ppm. Go back and read the beginning of the thread if you need to. But, it should NOT take 6 wks. to be able to be detected.

+ Reply to Thread