+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot raise CYA

QiingGuy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst QiingGuy 0

Default Re: Cannot raise CYA

Something else I thought I'd add, I'm in Las Vegas and my water temp is in the high 80s to mid 90's (or at least that's what my HTH therm. says), could that be causing an challenges?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I wouldn't think so. My pool temps typically range from mid80s to sometimes low 90s after a long stretch of hot temps that we often have. (Usually 85-90 most of the time.)

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

There are only a couple of ways that you can lose CYA:

Water loss due to splash out or a leak

CYA degradation due to high chlorine or bacteria

Water loss is much more common reason than degradation but if you let the FC drop for a long period of time, that can cause bacteria to proliferate and then CYA degradation can happen.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Water loss is much more common reason than degradation but if you let the FC drop for a long period of time, that can cause bacteria to proliferate and then CYA degradation can happen.
    How would I know if I have bacteria? I don't see anything in the pool, water is crystal clear.

Is the consensus that I should leave the additional HTH conditioner out for now?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Definitely do not add anymore at this time. I have asked Ben to pop in here and give use opinion. Hopefully, he'll be around to do so this evening.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. Watch the Taylor video, to verify that you did the CYA test correctly => http://pool9.net/tk/ (video links at top of page)

2. In the early AM, add 1/2 gallon of plain 8% bleach. Make sure the pump is on. After 1 hour, test FC levels with the K2006. Don't swim for 8 hours. Test FC levels again 8 hours after dosing. Report chlorine loss.

Using granular chlorine, it's pretty common for people to 'lose' the CYA when they clean their filter. This is especially true of pools where the pump doesn't run 24/7. Adding CYA using dichlor OR by putting the CYA in a sock until it's dissolved is much more reliable.

Of course, it's possible you added a mislabeled chemical.

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the video link. Appears I'm doing it correctly. Also had two different Leslie's pools test with similar results.

I'm under the weather and will try what you suggest when I'm on my feet again. Until then I'm running my SWG 2 hours a day and adding a cup of bleach and that seems to be keeping the level where it needs to be or close enough. Want to get CYA to a point where I can only run SWG.

Quote Originally Posted by QiingGuy View Post
    I needed to add a cup of Klean Strip Green Muriatic acid to lower my pH. Don't know if this could effect my CYA level or not but thought I'd throw it out there just to be safe.
    Don't know if this is part of your issue, but I wouldn't use the brand "Klean Strip Green Muriatic acid". There's no amount of concentration labeled and it has unknown / unwanted additives to make it "safer" (a.k.a. not safe for pools).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Str...5006/202690263

19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit. PF=6

Yep, that's what I used 1 cup of it. Think it could have something in it that's killing my CYA? It's all Walmart carried so I didn't think there was another choice.

Quote Originally Posted by QiingGuy View Post
    Yep, that's what I used 1 cup of it. Think it could have something in it that's killing my CYA? It's all Walmart carried so I didn't think there was another choice.
    It's unlikely that small amount would effect your CYA. But who knows what else are the "safer" additives and what they'll do to your pool and / or yourself. Only buy chems that have the amount of concentration labeled.

Try Lowes. Good luck.
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit. PF=6

+ Reply to Thread