+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing config

Default Plumbing config

Any thoughts on the attached plumbing diagram. I am going the owner/builder route and I want to make sure I communicate with my plumber exactly what I want.
    Attached Images

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: Plumbing config

How big is your pool? (gallons)

23,800 gallons, Also Pump 2 is for the waterfall.
    Last edited by mmcguire; 06-09-2006 at 07:50 PM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Why do you need a separate intake for the vac? Most just use the skimmer, and with a skimmer cap you can leave the basket in.

I had wondered about the two extra pumps. Do you REALLY need 2hp for a waterfall??? The electric will KILL you!
    Carl

duraleigh Guest

My initial reaction is that size system would be appropriate for a 60,000 gallon pool but waaay too big for 23,800.

You need to push about 50gpm for a pool your size. A full rated .75hp pump would be fine. 2" intake plumbing and 1.5" pressure side would be adequate as well.

Have you considered using two speed pumps? I have just configured my pool with a similar setup to yours. I have about the same size pool with a 2/0.5 2-speed on the filter and a 1.5/0.33 2-speed on the waterfall/slide. I figure I'll run the pool at low speed through a sand filter almost exclusively. The waterfall will have subtle/sunami selectability with the 2-speed. My pool will be filled at the end of next week. I'll be glad to share how it worked out if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    My initial reaction is that size system would be appropriate for a 60,000 gallon pool but waaay too big for 23,800.

You need to push about 50gpm for a pool your size. A full rated .75hp pump would be fine. 2" intake plumbing and 1.5" pressure side would be adequate as well.
    I too thought the pipe sizes are overkill but that is what someone recommended. All of the pipe sizes I have quotes for are 2" and 1.5". So my pumps are too large as well? Am I going to wate electicity, burn out the pumps, and/or waste $$ buying bigger pumpes that I do not need? Just trying to understand. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by jabre
    Have you considered using two speed pumps? I have just configured my pool with a similar setup to yours. I have about the same size pool with a 2/0.5 2-speed on the filter and a 1.5/0.33 2-speed on the waterfall/slide. I figure I'll run the pool at low speed through a sand filter almost exclusively. The waterfall will have subtle/sunami selectability with the 2-speed. My pool will be filled at the end of next week. I'll be glad to share how it worked out if you're interested.
    Yes I would like to see how yours work. Basically I want to be able to run my waterfall, spa jets, and filtering setup all seperatly. I want to be able to control the flow of my waterfall and the speed of my spa jets.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

You can use gate valves or jandy type valves to control the flow to the waterfall. Use a jandy type 3 way to control the return and drain to the pool and spa and you can do it with one pump and filter. You can use a blower to 'supercharge' the spa jets.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Okay so I downgraded the pipe and pump sizes. I also added what the equiptment will be. What are the issue you see with this setup?

Thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread