+ Reply to Thread

Thread: above vs inground chlorinator

Default above vs inground chlorinator

Hello All,

I have an above ground pool that I use an inline chlorinator with (tri-chlor pucks). The cap of the chlorinator now has a crack in it and the company was going to send me a new chlorinator, but they mistakenly sent me an inground inline chlorinator instead. The only difference I can see on the 2 chlorinators is that the inground one hold 9 lbs of pucks and the above ground holds 4.5 pounds. Even the plumbing hookups look the same. Can I use the inground chlorinator on my above ground pool and just use the 4 pounds that I was using before or is there some difference i don't see?

thanks

John

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: above vs inground chlorinator

Make / model of chlorinator?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

personally, I am a fan of floaters with adjustable vents, that cost about ten bucks, when I want to use tri-chlor tabs.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    personally, I am a fan of floaters with adjustable vents, that cost about ten bucks, when I want to use tri-chlor tabs.
    I actually don't like them just because my filter is on a timer and when it kicks on, if my solar cover is on, the floating chlorinator doesn't circulate around the pool-in any case, I will continue to use the in line model i have plumbed in

I have an older Hayward inground in line chlorinator, that I use when I go on vacation. I don't find the adjustment valve very accurate and I only put a few pucks in at a time.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I have an older Hayward inground in line chlorinator . . . I don't find the adjustment valve very accurate
    Bingo! That's one of the two reasons I hate those things. The other is the enormous flow restriction those beasts introduce:

That product is an interesting example of how even better companies like Hayward will continue to produce a known defective product, as long as it sells. It also illustrates why it's not possible to have a 'best-of-breed' pool equipment set up, if you stick to a single manufacturer!

+ Reply to Thread