+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is an automatic cleaner really worth it?

Shifty is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Shifty 0

Default Is an automatic cleaner really worth it?

I have been researching and debating on whether to purchase an automatic in-ground cleaner since last pool season. At this point, I am not even too concerned with the type of cleaner (suction, pressure, or robotic), rather is it truly worth it considering the up front cost, maintenance, as well as the time it takes for the cleaner to do its thing. My thinking is that I can clean the pool more thoroughly and in less time than an automatic cleaner. Notwithstanding, I also can't seem to find the "perfect" cleaner as each type of cleaner has its drawbacks.

I would love to see members' opinions if they think owning an automatic cleaner is really worth it.
    American Titan SS DE Filter; Multiport; 18'x36' grecian 24K gal IG krystalkrete (super blue) plaster; BBB and trichlor pucks for CYA; Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar; Taylor K-2006; The Pool Cleaner Auto Vac (4 wheels)

Default Re: Is an automatic cleaner really worth it?

You're right, you can clean the pool in less time than an automatic cleaner. If you don't mind doing it manually and regularly, then save your money.

That said, I find manually cleaning the pool a pain and think my Polaris 280 is totally worth it. I like anything that reduces time I spend on maintenance; auto pool cleaner, SWCG, BBB method, etc.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I loved my robots. Problem is the past tense and plural - they were relatively inexpensive ($300) but only lasted a few seasons. I liked throwing the robot in then doing my chores then finish up and swim in a nice clean pool.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

TomC is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst TomC 0

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    I have been researching and debating on whether to purchase an automatic in-ground cleaner since last pool season. At this point, I am not even too concerned with the type of cleaner (suction, pressure, or robotic), rather is it truly worth it considering the up front cost, maintenance, as well as the time it takes for the cleaner to do its thing. My thinking is that I can clean the pool more thoroughly and in less time than an automatic cleaner. Notwithstanding, I also can't seem to find the "perfect" cleaner as each type of cleaner has its drawbacks.

I would love to see members' opinions if they think owning an automatic cleaner is really worth it.
    For you I would say the answer is that they are not worth it. If you don't mind vacuuming manually then keep that money in your wallet.

I hate pulling out the vacuum and find my aquabot to be invaluable.

Tom
    20'x42' L' 41K gal IG vinyl pool; trichlor feeder, bleach; Pentair 420 cartridge filter; Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp 2 speed pump; hrs; TF-100, CYA test; city;PF:2.9

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

My choice is between a robotic Blue Diamond or a Pool Blaster Max. When a full, lengthy cleaning and brushing is required, I use the Blue Diamond. But for the daily detritus that accumulates I use the Pool Blaster. I am of the opinion that it is a terrific tool, requiring far less setup that a skimmer vac, does as good, if not better a job and you can either stick it on a pole or give it to a kid to have fun diving and sweeping...or do it yourself!
    Carl

I don't mind vacuuming my pool. In fact, sometimes it's a pleasant break from everything else. I also use an automatic cleaner.

That said, even with a cleaner (I don't have a robotic) I still have to vacuum manually sometimes. The cleaner running or not is the difference between a 5-10 minute session and a much much longer one. I leave my cleaner in the pool almost all the time. The kids know how to change the valve to turn off the suction port. They also know how to remove the thing from the pool if they want to swim.

When my cleaner recently gave up the ghost, I didn't even consider not replacing it.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I think there is a place for both -- manual and an auto vac. I agree that even if you have an auto cleaner, you'll still have to do some manual vacuuming as well.

Honestly, I can do a better job and a faster job vacuuming manually than my pool cleaner can do. Like kelemvor, I don't mind vacuuming sometimes. I just get in the pool and do it so I'm still getting to enjoy being in the water. It is much harder to vacuum it if I am outside the pool. The pool walls are 54 inches high so that makes it harder for me than if it were an inground pool.

But, I still do use my Pool Cleaner a lot as well. It is nice to be able to throw it in and know that the pool will be clean and ready when I get in the pool. I actually just bought a new one recently. The Pool Cleaner by Poolvergneugen.

FWIW... I think you're (the OP) looking at it all wrong. An auto cleaner isn't a time saver to me. It's a time multiplier because it let's me do other things (mow the lawn, eat dinner, take a nap, whatever...) while the pool is being cleaned. So for that reason, it's well worth it.
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit. PF=6

Old thread but I've got a Blue Diamond Robotic cleaner and I love it. After the opening of the pool at the beginning of summer, I usually don't have to manually vacuum my pool again and It's nice to be able to just throw the robotic vacuum in the pool in the morning before work or at night before bed so that when I get home or the next day the pool is nice and clean.

BUT in my opinion-I'm not sure how beneficial it would be for someone who doesn't have to vacuum very much to begin with. My pool is surrounded by trees so my pool requires some sort of maintenance 7 days a week. I spend 10-15 minutes daily and use a net and skim the top to remove the leaves and pine straw as well as empty the skimmer daily, sometimes twice in one day in the morning and afternoon 7 days a week and I have to vacuum every other day so it's nice to have the vacuuming done by the robot.

In my parents case, their pool has no trees around it and they only have to vacuum once a week. They spend 20 minutes one time a week manually vacuuming and don't have to do much of anything in-between like I do so they don't feel a robotic vacuum is worth it and I'd agree..
    20K Gal Vinyl Liner IG Pool (16' Wide x 32' Long & 8' Max Depth)
    Hayward S244T Filter
    CL200 Feeder
    1.5HP Up-Rate Super Pump

Quote Originally Posted by Zac851 View Post
    Old thread but I've got a Blue Diamond Robotic cleaner and I love it. After the opening of the pool at the beginning of summer, I usually don't have to manually vacuum my pool again and It's nice to be able to just throw the robotic vacuum in the pool in the morning before work or at night before bed so that when I get home or the next day the pool is nice and clean.

BUT in my opinion-I'm not sure how beneficial it would be for someone who doesn't have to vacuum very much to begin with. My pool is surrounded by trees so my pool requires some sort of maintenance 7 days a week. I spend 10-15 minutes daily and use a net and skim the top to remove the leaves and pine straw as well as empty the skimmer daily, sometimes twice in one day in the morning and afternoon 7 days a week and I have to vacuum every other day so it's nice to have the vacuuming done by the robot.

In my parents case, their pool has no trees around it and they only have to vacuum once a week. They spend 20 minutes one time a week manually vacuuming and don't have to do much of anything in-between like I do so they don't feel a robotic vacuum is worth it and I'd agree..
    Good point.

Our pool is surrounded by trees, so an auto cleaner is a good thing for us.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread