+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help with sizing new filter

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Help with sizing new filter

Oh, boy! Not sure what's going on with your pump! You need to be able to test your water for us to recommend amounts. I would suggest only using bleach for now.
    Carl

I'll take some water test tonight when I get out of work.
    Please advise on pump selection. I need to order one asap.
    Ths.
    12'x24' 8.3K* gal Intex AG vinyl pool; Intex SWCG CS20110 .92W pump & 110# sand filter combo; HTH 6-way stick; K2006; utility water; PF:14.5

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

My current Intek has pump with SWG built in. Is it possible to buy just the pump connect it in series before the Intel so the SWG would still work.
    Probably not. You will probably need to replace all three items (SWG, Filter and Pump). Intex doesn't make it easy to just replace one. You might be able to get just the pump and SWG and put it on the old filter but you might just be better off getting all three.

But your issue could just be due to chemistry. If you have an algae bloom, the filter will clog quickly and the flow rate drops. Fix your chemistry problem first and then consider a new setup.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Since my last Intex pool (which didn't owe me a dime!) went out of service at the end of the 2002 season, I'm just not up on their latest filters. SWCG wasn't even imaginable as an Intex option back then.
    Carl

You guys are absolutely RIGHT ON that the water chem plugging up my sand filter! I took this morning off playing with the pump in various modes; recirculate, backwash, rinse, and filter. It's the dirtiest water coming out that I've ever seen. The pump has good flow running right and the pool water is less green but has a long way to go after adding 1 gallon of bleach, and 4 cups of dichloro on the first night, and half gallon of bleach on 2nd night.
    I ran out of agent to meas the water chlorine and free chlorine. I need to buy them and bleach tonight after work.

I also noticed that the copper ionization block is surrounded by algae!
    Is it necessary to turn pump off, remove and clean the copper block?
    Should I replace the sand?
    12'x24' 8.3K* gal Intex AG vinyl pool; Intex SWCG CS20110 .92W pump & 110# sand filter combo; HTH 6-way stick; K2006; utility water; PF:14.5

Oh my. He has a copper ionizer? Can you remove it? He doesn't want copper in the pool. If you can't remove it, take the cartridge/block out anyway. His sand is probably fine for now as it obviously is grabbing stuff.

Your more immediate need is to deal with the algae. You never posted test results so it's hard to know what to say other than turn the swcg off and use bleach to take the FC to shock level. Once chlorine levels are high, brush the pool all over and scrub every nook and cranny that algae could be hiding in. See the FC/CYA relationship here to know his recommended shock level:
    http://pool9.net/oto-chart/
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Whoops! Wrong link. Here you go: http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

jtran69: Please initiate your own thread. I just realized that you were on TomC's thread. Silly me for not noticing.
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 10-01-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: New thread request

sorry, i'm starting new thread now.

No worries.

JimC, please repost if you still need help!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jtran69 View Post

I also noticed that the copper ionization block is surrounded by algae!
    Is it necessary to turn pump off, remove and clean the copper block?
    Should I replace the sand?
    The last place algae will grow is on the copper ionisation block, that will be verdigris and no real need to clean it off.

+ Reply to Thread