+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Yay!!!New pool!!!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Yay!!!New pool!!!

Trichlor is stabilized, but it's not what the SSR specifies.

However, you *can* use it, if you like, and it's actually cheaper per unit of chlorine added. But you'll need more borax (trichlor is acidic). Keep in mind, the SSR was developed for pools smaller than yours. Also, if you use trichlor, you'll need to get some floaters, from Walmart, etc. You can put 2 - 5 tabs in them, and let them float around the pool.

Since you're getting the K2006, the trichlor would be an acceptable way to go -- but it's a little more complex than the dichlor approach in the SSR. With trichlor, the formula will be trichlor + borax + bleach to shock or boost chlorine levels, since there's no quick way to add the trichlor.

Okay, yes the dichlor was listed as a "must have" under the Intex Pool Care Plan in the same article. So right now I have the plain 99.9% 3" chlorine tablet (40lb), 5 gallons of concentrated Clorox liquid, and Borax. Is it necessary for me to exchange my Chorine tabs for dichlor or just go with what I've got for now? This morning readings with the 3 way drops: Chlorine .5-1, Ph 7.9. Looks like I still need more chlorine.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

As I noted above, you can use the trichlor, but you'll need the floaters and more borax. The trichlor will be cheaper, overall, and probably better for a larger pool.

I'll try to find the trichlor but I'm rural so don't make the drive to larger town often. I do have the 40lbs of 3" chlorine tablets and will can use them (instead of returning to the store) if that is advisable. Is there any way they would work? Haven't seen any "trichlor" in any of the suppliers available to me.

Tried subscribing but if paypal is the only option I will not be able to do that. Is there any other payment method? I have all major credit cards or can mail check, cash or MO.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Tabs are almost always trichlor. Please check the label to confirm.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Quote Originally Posted by jo3ponies View Post
    Tried subscribing but if paypal is the only option I will not be able to do that. Is there any other payment method? I have all major credit cards or can mail check, cash or MO.
    PayPal will take your credit card. Thanks for asking.

Thanks, Ben. Good to know. Just saved me a trip to town. I have started floating my tablets and am stocked up on Borax so I'm good for now. Will add some Borax along with the tablets, circulate the water today and do a test in the morning to see where we are. (I have a few water bugs in there that I'm hoping will leave town when I get more chlorination in there....or will I have to do something else to get rid of them? Don't know where they come from but need them out before I get in!)

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Eww bugs. Watermom won't like that. We need a way to mark posts "Not Safe For Watermom".

Do you have a lake, pond or stream nearby? Some water bugs can fly and will migrate, otherwise once there's no food (algae) they should go away.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Eww bugs is right! It's funny that you should mention that,Dave. There are actually threads here on the forum where Ben has posted some pretty disgusting pictures where he has put alerts "Watermom, don't look!"

That's "pretty fascinating pictures", W-M.

Not my fault you are 'curiosity-challenged'.

+ Reply to Thread