+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: converting to salt generator

Default converting to salt generator

I am converting from Baquacil to an Aquarite salt generator. Last year I stopped adding Baquacil to the pool knowing I was converting. Right now I have a 0 Baquacil reading according to the test strips. What do I need to do to complete the change? I also read in the Aquarite manual that the water should be balanced before starting the system. Should this be done before I install the system so I can circulate the water or can this be done with the system installed but not running? Thank you.

SJohnson is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst SJohnson 0

You can do this with the system installed but set to not generate chlorine. There are manuals in pdf format on goldline's website, http://www.goldlinecontrols.com

Those may help, in case you haven't looked through them before. Anyway, you certainly can have the cell installed, but turned off. Are you installing the AquaLogic controller or is it the AquaRite control box? Either way, you can control the cell while you balance your water . . .

SJohnson

duraleigh Guest

Test Strips???? Ouch!!!!! Don't believe them. You'll need to get a drop-based test kit before you start and you're probably gonna' need quite a bit of clorox. I'm not insisting you've still got baqua in the pool.....but if you've had no sanitizer in since last year, you should not ask your SWG to "shock" your pool.....it might overload it's capacity and then you'll be bummed thinking it's not working properly.

There are some converts on the forum who can advise you better than I, and they'll help you along, I'm sure. Essentially, you'll need to bring Cl level up to shock value (around 12ppm since you have no CYA) and KEEP IT THERE until it holds that level overnight. Then post your test numbers on here to get in balance and then you're ready to start running your SWG.

I'm not sure you'll do any harm cleaning up your water with the SWG in the system but not running....my guess would be no harm....others will be along soon to give you better advice.

Dave S.

Will all of that Clorox cause any fading or other damage to a vinyl liner of an inground pool? The pool is 2 years old.

duraleigh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by boscogabby
    Will all of that Clorox cause any fading or other damage to a vinyl liner of an inground pool? The pool is 2 years old.
    Short Answer....NOPE!!!

Just make sure you get a kit that will allow you to test accurately.

Dave S.

Definitely do not use your SWC to shock the pool. It runs the cell at 100% power for 24 hours...and shortens the lifespan of the cell. If I need to shock (which I haven't since I got the SWC) I would just use bleach.

Easy test to see if there's baq in there still. Slug a gallon of bleach in the pool. If it turns green, it's still in there!

On second thought, maybe not. That'll start a mess that you have to clean up right then and there. Go to the baquacil forum and read up on what has to be done. There's a good post in there that outlines what needs to be done.

Michael

Would the bleach test work if I fill a bucket with the pool water and than added the bleach to see if it turns green?

Great idea! A tiny splash of 6% bleach in a 5 gal bucket should do it. Less than 1/2 ounce.

Michael

I filled a 5 gallon bucket with pool water and threw some bleach in it. The water did not turn green but it did turn light brown, kind of like light iced tea. Is this a good sign or the start of trouble? I am also having a problem getting the bleach calc. The pool is 12x24, approximately 12500 gallons, can anyone help?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

That sounds like it could be an iron problem....Not familiar at all with Bac...avoid it like the plague...so I don't know if "iced tea" is one of the colors it goes through when you try and kill it but it is one of the colors you can see with iron in your water.

+ Reply to Thread