+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HASA Sani-Clor?

Default HASA Sani-Clor?

So I received a coupon in the mail from another local pool supplier running a sale on HASA Sani-Clor buy 3 get 1 free. I went buy today and they had their whole supply sitting outside..we're in AZ. I asked one of the guys if that's what they were selling and he looked at me like a was stupid and said yes. I asked him what about storing chlorine in a cool dark place and he stated "oh they're just outside during the day..". I couldn't help but laugh a bit, then I said "But that just makes it degrade quicker" . He looked a big agitated and goes "Well my chlorine is 17% and I doubt it'll degrade!"

I got home and looked up what HASA recommends and found the MSDS here. And it states that at 110 degrees it will start decomposing. Oh and it also states its only 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite and not 17% as he touted.

Why would they put it outside!? That just seems crazy to me, if they have the space to store it indoors overnight then why move it outside...

edit:
    I just called another location of the same chain and the guy says that they normally put a days worth outside during busier times but if I went there and requested a case from their indoor storage that would be fine. And he kinda laughed when I told him about the guy telling me its 17%, he said yeah its 12.5% just like you said. Then he said "between me and you, you're right but it's just something we do during our busier days and we don't feel like it will degrade that much in a 9 hour shift since we aren't having 110 degree days consecutively."
    PebbleTec | 25k Gallons | Purex Triton Whisperflo pump | Magnetek Century Centurion 1.5HP | Hayward Pro Series S311SX Sand Filter | Taylor K-2006 kit

Default Re: HASA Sani-Clor?

The pool store strikes again!

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

If they truly turn over in just a day then that's fine, but in general you are correct that you don't want them in very hot temperature for too long.

I got that same coupon twice this year so far and it's a great deal. The Hasa 12.5% chlorinating liquid I get is normally $3.85 per gallons so with 25% off it's only $2.89 per gallon. I like the fact that I get a 4 gallon crate at a time and I return the bottles for reuse -- much better than recycling or trash.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Right now I'm buying 10% from another pool store for $4.95 per 2 gallon box, I think that runs till the end of July and then I'll try the Hasa. I also like that I won't have to be throwing away so many cardboard boxes and bottles.
    PebbleTec | 25k Gallons | Purex Triton Whisperflo pump | Magnetek Century Centurion 1.5HP | Hayward Pro Series S311SX Sand Filter | Taylor K-2006 kit

+ Reply to Thread