+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much bleach weekly/monthly?

Default How much bleach weekly/monthly?

Hi everyone. I recently started using bleach instead of tabs in my pool, and have been going through the bottles like nothing...
    So just wondering how much bleach is normal to use for a pool?

I currently buy Clorox Concentrated Liquid Bleach 121 oz from Costco at the cost of 3 for $10.

I feel like I loose about 2 - 3 PPM in 24 hours (Need to check and track this to be sure). So going through around 1 jug a day...
    New pool owner
    30,000 gallon concrete and tile pool with DE filter and offline Chlorinator.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: How much bleach weekly/monthly?

It depends on a lot of things. Your CYA level, the temperature, the amount of organic stuff in the pool, the swimmer load, etc. The amount of bleach you are using doesn't seem excessive to me especially for a 30K gallon pool. Losing 2-3ppm per day isn't bad.

Do you have a Taylor K2006 test kit? Post some current testing numbers. It may be that your numbers, especially your CYA level, may need tweaking.

Latest number from the Taylor kit:
    FC - 3
    CC - 0.5
    PH - 7.6 / 7.5
    TA - 70
    CYA - < 40 (35ish)

I assume CYA is LOW. Not sure if I am testing correctly as the dot get very blurry but is definitely still visible under very close inspection until around 35. I thought it was closer to 50 at last test. Will around ~2 inchs of rain + ~2 inch of tap water over the last 2 weeks cause the CYA to drop as much? Any other potential reason for CYA loss? Pool store (Leslie's) had it at 60 on the same day(2 weeks ago)!

I'm scared to add additional stabilizer in case I am doing this test incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    It depends on a lot of things. Your CYA level, the temperature, the amount of organic stuff in the pool, the swimmer load, etc. The amount of bleach you are using doesn't seem excessive to me especially for a 30K gallon pool. Losing 2-3ppm per day isn't bad.

Do you have a Taylor K2006 test kit? Post some current testing numbers. It may be that your numbers, especially your CYA level, may need tweaking.
    New pool owner
    30,000 gallon concrete and tile pool with DE filter and offline Chlorinator.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Adding water will dilute the CYA reading some but its hard to know how much. And, you're right, it is definitely the hardest test to read. Watch the testing demo videos at this link:> http://pool9.net/K2006-vid/

If you do think your CYA is at 35ish, you'll probably do better if you raise it just a little. Maybe add another 2 to 2-1/2 lbs. That should add another 10ppm.

+ Reply to Thread