+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should I raise my cya?

Cool Should I raise my cya?

Hi all. I'm new to posting, so bear with me! I have a 22000 gal pebble-tec pool. The water temp is 90 and getting lots of Phoenix summer sun.

Here are my numbers from this morning.
    ph- 7.6 fc- 3.5 ta- 50 ch- 725 cya-45

I'm having to add a gallon of muriatic acid and a gallon of 10% sodium hypochlorite chlorinating liquid every 4-5 days, sometimes even after 3 days.

Would raising my cya stabilize the ph so I don't have to add the chlorine so often. Also, it seems that my adding so much acid lowers my ta, but when I raise the ta, my ph shoots up.

And lastly, the water in Phoenix is very hard, but is such a high ch acceptable?

Thanks

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Should I raise my cya?

Raising CYA will not affect your pH.

How are you raising TA?

CH of 725 is very high but if your fill water is that high, there's not a lot you can do about. However, you will want to keep your TA and pH on the low end.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I think you're looking that the chlorine use as excessive, but . . .

1. Chlorine consumption increases with the water temp for a variety of reasons, including chlorine reacting with the CYA

2. It's quite likely your 10% bleach . . . isn't. Try switching to 8% bleach, purchased from Walmart, where it's stored in a air conditioned area. I think there's a good chance you'll find you get more chlorine from the "8.25%" than from the "10%"

Commercial 10% bleach, shipped at 12%, and stored in a pool wholesale warehouse at 100 degrees (Phoenix) for a month, may arrive to your pool at 6%, or even less. Walmart bleach, shipped to AZ a week before purchase and stored in an air conditioned store may arrive at your pool at 9%.

This is why it's NEVER a good idea to 'stock up' on bleach -- it just doesn't keep at high temps.

If you want to lower your CH, it's possible, but messy. If you aren't having problems with your pH bouncing around, and don't have a heater or salt system, you may want to leave it alone.

Hi Watermom. Thanks for a quick reply.

My bad on the pH. I meant would raising the CYA stabilize the FC without messing up the chemical balance of the pool. I was thinking about raising it to around 60.

I have used "Alkalinity Up" to raise the pH. My test kit (TF-100) and other things I've read say I should keep the TA between 100-120, but when I add the Alkalinity Up, it takes quite a bit of Muriatic Acid to bring the pH back down to an acceptable range. Now I'm reading that if I have a high CH, I should keep my TA and pH lower, as you said. I guess my question what be what is a good range for the TA? I'm working to keep my pH between 7.2-7.6.

I just tested the CH coming out of the faucet next to my pool equipment, and was shocked to see it was 200. I tested my pool water again, and it came up 700. Somehow it has really gotten out of whack. I just did a partial refill of my pool (50%) late last fall, so I'm baffled.
    22k gal Pebble Tec. PF=5

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    I think you're looking that the chlorine use as excessive, but . . .

1. Chlorine consumption increases with the water temp for a variety of reasons, including chlorine reacting with the CYA

2. It's quite likely your 10% bleach . . . isn't. Try switching to 8% bleach, purchased from Walmart, where it's stored in a air conditioned area. I think there's a good chance you'll find you get more chlorine from the "8.25%" than from the "10%"

Commercial 10% bleach, shipped at 12%, and stored in a pool wholesale warehouse at 100 degrees (Phoenix) for a month, may arrive to your pool at 6%, or even less. Walmart bleach, shipped to AZ a week before purchase and stored in an air conditioned store may arrive at your pool at 9%.

This is why it's NEVER a good idea to 'stock up' on bleach -- it just doesn't keep at high temps.

If you want to lower your CH, it's possible, but messy. If you aren't having problems with your pH bouncing around, and don't have a heater or salt system, you may want to leave it alone.

Thanks PoolDoc. I guess those 7 gallons of chlorine sitting in my garage aren't the best idea! As far as the CH, as I said in my reply to Watermom, the CH in the pool is significantly higher (700) than what comes out of the faucet (200). My pH is not bouncing around, but does seem to need to raise up about .015 a day. Is that excessive?
    22k gal Pebble Tec. PF=5

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

So, I'm assuming you have been using some cal-hypo to chlorinate with at some point since yout CH is so high in the pool compared to your tap water. No more cal hypo!

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    So, I'm assuming you have been using some cal-hypo to chlorinate with at some point since yout CH is so high in the pool compared to your tap water. No more cal hypo!

I'm not sure. I was using tricolor tabs before I switched to liquid chlorine about 6 months ago. I've used a couple of different products before to shock the water, so maybe there was something in those. Anyway, now I'm just using the liquid chlorine, so that won't be a factor. Thanks!
    22k gal Pebble Tec. PF=5

I'm in Gilbert, AZ so I'm familiar with the sun eating up chlorine pretty rapidly. My CYA is around 50-60 right now, I left for California last Wednesday and put 4 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine in on that Tuesday evening, today when I tested I was at 1ppm Cl. We also has a big dust storm while I was away but I came home to a crystal clear pool. I always store my liquid chlorine or bleach inside where it's cooler (78 degrees). I buy 4 gallons at a time and they last me about 2 weeks.

Oh and I'm also having to add muriatic acid ever so often but my fill water has very high pH, so you have to figure that into everything as well.

Where are you buying your liquid chlorine?
    PebbleTec | 25k Gallons | Purex Triton Whisperflo pump | Magnetek Century Centurion 1.5HP | Hayward Pro Series S311SX Sand Filter | Taylor K-2006 kit

Quote Originally Posted by dubbedout View Post
    I'm in Gilbert, AZ so I'm familiar with the sun eating up chlorine pretty rapidly. My CYA is around 50-60 right now, I left for California last Wednesday and put 4 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine in on that Tuesday evening, today when I tested I was at 1ppm Cl. We also has a big dust storm while I was away but I came home to a crystal clear pool. I always store my liquid chlorine or bleach inside where it's cooler (78 degrees). I buy 4 gallons at a time and they last me about 2 weeks.

Oh and I'm also having to add muriatic acid ever so often but my fill water has very high pH, so you have to figure that into everything as well.

Where are you buying your liquid chlorine?

Wow, you burned through that chlorine pretty fast. I seem to go through about 3.5 ppm of chlorine a day on a sunny summer day, which seems pretty high to me. I'm wondering if raising my cya to 60 would slow the FC usage without messing up the chemical balance of the pool. By the way, what is your TA?

I've been getting my chlorine mostly at Albertson's. I'll have to look to see if they are printing a manufacture date on the box. I didn't realize that it loses effectiveness in heat.
    22k gal Pebble Tec. PF=5

Yeah, I go through about a gallon a day I guess. I've called around to all of the local pool stores in the east valley for liquid chlorine prices and the cheapest right now is at NPS Pool & Spa Supply, 2 gallons of 10% for $4.95 (sale going on till end of July).

Here's a breakdown of price per oz that I made up:
    PebbleTec | 25k Gallons | Purex Triton Whisperflo pump | Magnetek Century Centurion 1.5HP | Hayward Pro Series S311SX Sand Filter | Taylor K-2006 kit

+ Reply to Thread