+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Noob from OKC taking on liner install

Default Noob from OKC taking on liner install

Hello from okc. I'm going to attempt to measure, repair return fittings and install vinyl liner in my old in in ground pool. Here goes nothing.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Noob from OKC taking on liner install

Good luck and keep us posted.

Start thinking about the chemistry end of things. Read this:> http://pool9.net/ssr/ It would be a good way to start up a freshly-filled pool.

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

. . . membership updated.

Good luck on the project. I'd STRONGLY suggest buying the liner from someone who has good help and installation info, and who can be contacted by phone.

Thank you watermom for the link.
    My first order of business before the liner comes in is to repair the return lines. I'm planning on cutting through the concrete this evening to help me see what's below. All I know at this point is at least one of my returns leak. Behind the liner is foam and plywood.

I'd love to hear more on your progress, process, do's, do not's, etc. I plan on replacing my liner next season. The measuring guides alone on the various websites I have looked at looks like quite a task in itself. I am sure you know, but there are quite a few good videos on you tube that show the process. Good luck.
    18x34 22k gallon IG, Vinyl liner, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Chlorinator, Pentair Challenger 1hp pump, LA Spa.

So far I have managed to line up vermiculite in the area for about 21 dollars for 4 cu ft. I also have put a pool float on order.
    I ordered a 28/28 liner and foam with some liner lock. Should be delivered next week.
    Right now I'm just a little worried about how bad the wall structure will be when I get to look at it.
    My rationale for do it myself was, "would I take 1000 to 1500 hundred dollars to have a wrinkle or two in my liner?

I had a return line leaking water behind the liner.
    Upon closer inspection I discovered that I had cracked the thread with the winter plug.
    I put a bit of silicone on the crack each spring.
    Saved digging up the cement

Gary- I wish I could be so lucky. I actually bought a couple of rubber plugs from a leak detection website. The plugs fit a few inches beyond the threads. I was going to try and isolate the two returns but I'm afraid to do much more digging close to the pump/and filter. If I dig anymore I risk damaging the suction lines that are under the cement.

I rented a cement saw from home Depot and cut a couple 1 1/2 foot strips out of the concrete directly over the returns. Let's just say Tim the tool man would love this tool. .... Very cool. Started digging down to the return and didn't finish last night. There are many roots from nearby bushes. I still can't see how the fitting is stabilized. So far all I can see is PVC.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Diamond blade concrete saws are SO much better than those nasty carborundum blade saws I used in the 80's: incredibly noisy, incredibly dusty, & incredibly slow. I have a little 4" diamond circular wet saw I use occasionally.

+ Reply to Thread