+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Noob from OKC taking on liner install

Default Re: Noob from OKC taking on liner install

Dug down to both of the returns and removed them. A sharp chisel made quick work of the dirt and roots. I'm going to run the returns outside of the cement about 1 ft underground. I guess I should use PVC.

Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-10-2014 at 03:39 PM. Reason: add picture

Installed the new return lines. I probably should have installed a new skimmer as well. Liner is supposed to be in this week. I ordered and have a pool trowel to help me work on the bottom of the pool.

Pictures of my little rig for testing for leaks and some of the new plumbing. ......(sending)

Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-16-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: add pix

K2006 on order. Stockpiling some bleach and borax in progress.

I had some washout around a couple of the wall panels. Had to take the panels down and reinstall. Skim coated the entire bottom with Vermiculite/Concrete mix. I did ok. Not perfect but acceptable.
    I used pennies to help hold the liner in place while installing. Unfortunately the liner is not the right dimensions. One of the sides is 16 inches too long. There are arrows in each corner.
    My pool is a fairly standard hopper as far as the perimeter goes. 16 x 32. One of the longs sides is appr. 33' 4".
    Sending some pictures.
    16' x 32' IG, 22K, 1HP sand filter

I just finished sending the pictures to the liner supplier. Something tells me I'm not getting the replacement liner as fast as I would like. The jury is still out and I'm trying to remain optimistic.

Other than problems with liner fitting, how did the install go? Did you learn any do's or do not's that you can pass on? Did you use vacuum to pull liner in and help with wrinkles? Also, how about gasket material behind any cutouts for return, skimmer, etc.? Thanks
    18x34 22k gallon IG, Vinyl liner, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Chlorinator, Pentair Challenger 1hp pump, LA Spa.

I'm glad to help if I can.
    I have a regular beaded liner and I set the shallow end corners first. Then worked my way to the deep end sticking a penny in every 2 to 3 feet. If the liner perimeter was right this would have went perfectly. I have diagonal corners and I used a little liner lock to hold them in.
    I didn't replace the gasket in the main drain. I installed the screws in the main drain and skimmer before setting the liner. I was nervous about this but I'd definitely do it again.
    I did use two shop vacs to help set the liner. I found it easier to just tape off the skimmer and vacuum from a different place.
    There was supposed to be a gasket at my skimmer but there wasn't. The previous installer also had two different size screws going into the face plate. They didn't even go all the way in. I'm convinced this is what caused the backfill dirt behind the two panels to washout.
    I have a vermiculite bottom and decided it needed redone. I found medium verm at a plant services company. I used about 16cu ft and 2 1/2 bags of cement to do the bottom and touch up the sides. This was the hardest part for me.
    I should have swept better but once the water was in you couldn't tell. I don't have a light in my pool.
    If you can lay flooring and are quite handy then this isn't too much to take on.
    If you have any other questions (now that I'm an expert. .. lol) feel free to ask.

Replacement liner is on the way. I'm pretty sure I won't be installing the new liner for a year or two.

I'm confused... didn't you need a new liner? Where's the pics of the pool?
    5.2k gal 16' x 48" Summer Escapes AG, Intex 2650 Sand Filter. PF=23

+ Reply to Thread