Thread: 27' or 30' round, salt or chlorine, sand or cartridge or DE, etc....

Default 27' or 30' round, salt or chlorine, sand or cartridge or DE, etc....

Thanks in advance for all the future help and all educational material on this site. I am a new pool owner or at least almost new because I am waiting for the permit to install the pool but it looks like new people have to post here first so here is my post. I am getting a 30' Westminster II 54" round pool and the title says all the stuff I have been researching. Anyway if you have pros or cons let me know. I am all ears. Thank again.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: 27' or 30' round, salt or chlorine, sand or cartridge or DE, etc....

Hi and welcome to the Pool Forum!

Salt or chlorine? Salt pools are chlorine pools. For your first year at least, I'd suggest just learning to manage your pool yourself and add a SWCG later if you want. They are very expensive and honestly, to just manage a pool manually is quite easy and doesn't take all that much time.

Regarding filters --- you'll get all kinds of opinions on this. But, honestly, sand filters are the easiest to use. It seems like cartridge filters work ok in places where it is dry and little organic debris (leaves, pollen, etc) and possible water restrictions. A real nuisance to clean and I don't think it would be your best choice. DE filters also do a good job but my opinion is go with a sand filter. It is so simple. I will caution you that many people buy big pumps thinking that is good but for a pool, you don't want a big pump. The best setup is a not too big pump paired with a big filter. (I have a 27ft AG pool and I have a full-rated 1/2hp inground pump paired with a 300 lb. sand filter. I went with an inground pump because they are built a little more sturdily and it is self-priming which many AG pumps are not.) I am not the pump expert around here so someone may have a better suggestion for you.

A good way to start up a pool's chemistry is with our Super Simple Start-up Recipe. It says on the directions that it is for an Intex pool, but it is appropriate for any freshly filled pool. You just adjust the doses to match your volume. You can read more information about the recipe here:> http://pool9.net/ssr/

Do yourself a huge favor and go ahead and order the best test kit that is out there --- a Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). You won't find it locally but can get it through this link:> http://pool9.net/tk/

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions. We'll be here! Congrats on the new pool, by the way!

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)