+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intex Ultra Frame 18 x 48 Pool

Default Intex Ultra Frame 18 x 48 Pool

I've got my pool full. I've been circulating water for about 5.5 hrs. I added 7 doses of bleach while filling. Pool capacity is 6423 gals. I just got my first set of readings and was seeking advice for what to do next. Here are my readings:
    CL: No color change
    pH: 7.8
    Alkalinity: 160
    Hardness: 40
    I have the SWCG, but have not not added salt, I was hoping to get better readings. I'm looking for advice on what I should do for the evening.
    18' x 48 Intex

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Intex Ultra Frame 18 x 48 Pool

I'm sorry you didn't get a reply this evening, but I hope you added bleach. If not, do so in the a.m. Are you going to use the Super Simple Startup Recipe? It is an ideal way to start up a freshly filled pool. Info here:> http://pool9.net/ssr/

You'll want to wait a bit to start the SWCG. Better to get the water balanced first. Your SWCG manual should tell you what CYA level you need for the unit to operate properly. If you use dichlor for awhile, you will be adding CYA and chlorine at the same time. Once your CYA level is built up to where you need it to be, then you can turn on the SWCG.

Yes I did use the SSSR. I added 4 doses of bleach, 20 Mule, and CYA this evening. Going to check the numbers again in the morning.
    18' x 48 Intex

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

How much CYA did you add? How did you add it?

Borax raises Ph. So, with a pH of 7.8, you shouldn't have added the Borax.

I added 4 doses of CYA. According to recipe the Borax and CYA is 1 to 1. Right?
    18' x 48 Intex

4 doses of chlorine or 4 doses of CYA? What was the product name and ingredients of what you added?

You only add the 1 to 1 doses of Borax if you are using dichlor because it is acidic and will drive the pH down. The Borax is to counteract this drop in pH.

I'm not sure that you understand the recipe. There are directions there for using bleach for a few days until you can buy the needed Dichlor. At that point, you stop using bleach and use dichlor until your CYA (stabilizer) is around 50ppm. Then, stop the dichor and switch back to bleach.

i used the CYA recommended from Sam's Club. Pool Brand I think. The one recommended on the recipe. I'll get another reading this afternoon. Post it here if that is ok
    18' x 48 Intex

That isn't CYA. It is Dichlor which is chlorine with CYA in it.

Test your pH again this evening before you add more dichlor. If your pH is above 7.3 or so, don't add Borax.

Here are my current readings:
    Cl-5
    Br-10
    pH-7.5
    Alk-200
    Hard-90
    How should I proceed this evening ?
    Thanks
    I have not added salt yet. I didn't test CYA because my understanding is that it takes a few days.
    18' x 48 Intex

You can ignore the bromine side of your tester; this is a chlorine pool.

Your OTO chlorine tester can only read up to 5ppm of chlorine. Use the color chart at this link to see what you think the reading actually is:>
    http://pool9.net/oto-chart/

+ Reply to Thread