+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metal stains after using EZ-Pool

Default Metal stains after using EZ-Pool

I have been a pool owner for 2 summers. I inherited a pool when I moved in. The person I bought from used EZ pool. I use it last year just because I was new. This year I ended up with terrible staining. I used Absorbic Acid and it took it away only to return a couple weeks later. I did the AA again, and it did not remove the staining. Now I can't seem to get my CL up. I added bleach and it did raise to 2 last night, but then it dropped overnight. (I also use a Trichlor 3 in tab inline feeder). Now today it was 0.8. Does it just take a little time to get all the AA out so the CL can stabilize? I am afraid to use shock to precitpate stains out. I am tired of the pool store info already, they really don't seem to know what is going on.

8200 above ground TUFF pool.
    FC 0.8, CC 0.2, PH=7.2, CYA 70, Hardness =225, Alkalinity 150.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Metal stains after using EZ-Pool

You need to read our stains guide; ascorbic acid does NOT remove the metal; it just redissolves it. And it IS completely incompatible with chlorine: if there's ascorbic acid in the pool, THEN there's no chlorine in the pool. And, if there's measurable chlorine in the pool, THEN there is no ascorbic acid.

http://pool9.net/stains/

Stain removal is a pain. If water is fairly cheap for you, the EASIEST way to get the metal out of your pool is to (a) dechlorinate, (b) dissolve the stains, and (c) drain the pool and refill. Usually, this isn't an option for various reasons. Often stains are from well water, and the pools have to be refilled from the same metal contaminated water that caused the problem originally.

But, I'm assuming that (a) you have an AG pool and (b) that you're not filling from a well. If that's correct, follow the steps below:

1. Verify that direct application of Vitamin C will remove the stains. (If not post that info).

2. Add polyquat to avoid algae, and stop adding chlorine. You can add bottles of 3% peroxide to speed the chlorine removal.

3. Once the chlorine is gone, add both ascorbic acid (to dissolve the metal) and HEDP to keep the metal dissolved.

4. Keep the pH at or near 7.0; do not let it get super low. Add borax as needed to raise the pH.

5. Once the stains are gone, drain the pool, and then refill. You can use any leftover polyquat to prevent algae till the pool is full.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread