+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to forum - high Alkalinity

Post New to forum - high Alkalinity

3rd year with my Intex 9x18 pool. I had been going to the pool store for help, with lousy results. Finally tried the BBB method instead, and low and behold my pool is in better shape than previous two seasons. That said, I definitely feel like I am low on the learning curve.

Anyway, I just received my Taylor K-2006 test kit and took my measurements. My alkalinity tested high, so I think I need to lower it. But before I get to that, here is the info. on my pool and test results:

Pool size is 9x18 and holds 4554 gallons. Pump is the Intex 635T that came with the pool. I am using the Filbur FC-3710 filters.

Today's test results (first time with Taylor K-2006) are: 3.2 ppm of free chlorine; 0 combined chlorine (when I added the R-0003, it did not turn pink); Ph = 7.6 units; Alk / calcium carbonate = 160 ppm; Calcium hardness = 200 ppm; CYA = 50 ppm (I wasn't exactly sure if the dot had to be completely gone / not visible at the bottom of the test compartment; seemed like I could still barely see the dot at the bottom so I kept adding the solution until the dot was completely gone. Hoping I did that correctly).

The pool has been filled for about 5 weeks, using the BBB method. I have continued to add the Kemtek and Borax but only when needed because after about a week my tests performed with my Leslies Basic Poolcare OTO Test Kit that I bought last year were generally good: CL =5; pH = 7.5. So I would add Kemtek and Borax when my CL would drop. So the water has generally been very clear, but for the first time this weekend the water seems to be a bit cloudy. Also, I noticed that my pump does not seem to be working well. I removed the filter and rinsed it off yesterday and the filter worked well again for about an hour, then it seemed like the amount of water coming out decreased significantly again.

So based on the info in Taylor K-2006 booklett, seems like I need to get my Alk. down to 120 or 100? I assume using muriatic acid? However, I was reading your article, "Lowering Swimming Pool Alkalinity" and got nervous about messing with the pH, so really want to make sure I do this right. Also, when is the best time to add the muriatic acid (evening?) and how long do the kids need to stay out of the water after I add it? Lastly, since my CYA seems like its at a good level, should I go back to using plain 8.25% bleach instead of the Kemtek?

Thanks again (and sorry for all the info)!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New to forum - high Alkalinity

Hi and welcome to the Pool Forum!

You are right that since your CYA is about 50ppm, it is time to stop using dichlor and just use bleach.

Your alk is probably ok where it is. But, if you want to try and drop the alk some, the directions are here:> http://pool9.net/alk-step Also, please read this one:> http://pool9.net/muriatic/

If you do decide to lower it, it doesn't really matter what time of day you do it. Keep the kids out for a couple of hours after you add the acid to let it mix in good and then throw 'em back in!

To make your K2006 testing reagents last longer, just use the 10 mL sample instead of the 25mL one. Then, just multiply the number of drops by 0.5 instead of 0.2.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions and we'll try and help!

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

Thank you! This site is true gold for those of us stumbling through to maintain a pool!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Hope you enjoy being a part of the forum!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread