+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help-small problem turning into big headache. Pool a bit higher than deck

Exclamation Help-small problem turning into big headache. Pool a bit higher than deck

Hello,
    I just had my above ground pool replaced as a tree fell on my old one over the winter. I have a trex deck that is in front of the pool on one end that was here when we bought the house last year. The new pool is about 2-3" higher than the deck. The installer ripped me off by charging me 500.00 to "work with my existing deck", and they never hooked up the stairs or did anything to work with the deck. So the round cuts from the old pool show up as a small space between those couple of boards and the deck, which I can live with or just replace 3 boards. But I first got the "Mighty Steps" and as most probably know there's these plastic parts you have to screw onto your deck that's supposed to be higher than the pool.

Now I've got the "Wedding Cake Stairs" and they will mount fine, but that doesn't solve the issue that first I have to trim the deck boards back a bit because the contractor left it so the rail is sitting on the deck at a slight angle because the deck is close to the rail height, enough so it pushes the rail up about 1". Once I cut the boards so the rail sits free as the rest of the rail on the pool and as it should, then I'll be fine there. But I want to stop the kids from sitting on the rail or stepping on it to get in and out of the pool. It's literally about 2-3" higher than the deck, so I'm trying to figure
    Out how to make some
    Step that would sit over the rail,
    Ideally I would do it for the whole length of the rail, but if I can do it just for the part where the stairs
    Go in that would be fine. I asked the pool store and they don't have any ladders that would solve this, but it looks like they do have ladders that would fix this issue as they have a platform you first step on. The store I got the pool from only has ladders that don't have a platform and also are made to go on a deck.

What's the best solution?

Thank you all in advance! And will having the railing sitting on the deck like this for about 2 weeks
    Hurt the pool at all? He cut the caps and then put some stupid screw in them to hold them to the rail, luckily he didn't put the screw into the rail though. So the stor
    Is giving me new caps. I'll cut the deck boards to fit correctly. But now my step
    Problem exists.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Help-small problem turning into big headache. Pool a bit higher than deck

Pictures would probably help. Use Flickr, Picasa, Photobucket, etc and then use this button to link them into this thread:

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

Default Re: Help-small problem turning into big headache. Pool a bit higher than deck

Hi,
    Thank You! I've been working night & day, so sorry for the late reply, it's really appreciated to get some help!

I've looked into this just a bit, but came here because no one I've talked to has any ideas, not even the pool stores.

I've uploaded the pics to Photobucket.

"Ideally", I would like to somehow "protect" the rail. I know that where the "wedding cake" stairs are, that putting something there will be a challenge. So it's easier to get the kids to learn to step over there, but it's the rest of the rail as well. It would be nice to not have to worry about the kids friends or even adults who haven't been told and don't know not to step on the rail.

I've read people have built "over hangs" or something like that. In the pics you can see that the pool rail is close to the deck boards. In one of them you can see how there is a circular cut in one board which was from the old pool. This pool sits about 2-3" higher than the decking boards. I saw on here that someone posted a nice pic of their deck and then they had a piece of trim that covered the small space they had, so that would be helpful, just because it doesn't look great with the space. I also had to trim the boards back because the installer left it so the rail was sitting on the deck boards in some spots and it wasn't level...
    If I could make something so even the kids could step on it that would be great! Letting them jump off of it as well. I let them jump off the deck, so they just stand in front of the rail and step back once or twice and then jump in. But their friends don't know better and I also don't want them to trip or something.

Thanks again!
    Jay

Hi,
    Thank you! I apologize for the late reply! I've had to work 18-20 hour days

I appreciate the help as it's hard to find good forums these days and this site is great! I did some searching and I can't find anything that is like what I'm trying to do, there's posts but no info or pics.

I had to get the pool replaced when a tree fell, so the other people that had the house put up the pool and deck. The deck was cut to fit the supports of the old pool, so that it fit tight.

But the installer I used screwed me by charging a fee to "work" with the deck for this pool, and all he did was put it close, then left it so the rail sat on the deck boards in "some spots", which was wrong because the rail wasn't sitting level. Then the caps weren't put on right, so I got new ones.
    I had to trim back the deck boards and I did it as carefully as possible. It came out pretty good, but of course the boards aren't perfect, and then as you'll see there's a few that have a cut where the old rail was. I want to at least make that "edge" or area where the deck boards meet the pool look nicer, I've read people put a piece of trim along that space?
    "Ideally" I want to protect the railing, my kids are being good, stepping over the rail to get in the pool, I got the "wedding cake stairs". But they do jump off the deck "always supervised", and feet first, nothing with running or whatever. But their friends come over or even adults that don't know or don't listen, I don't want the rail getting ruined or worse. I've read people do an overhang or something. It would be great if the wife could sit on it or the kids, or even just if it will keep them from hurting themselves or the rail. They stand in front of it now and then jump in sometimes.

Any ideas are very much appreciated!

Thank You!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Pictures? See post #2.

Exclamation Re: Help-small problem turning into big headache. Pool a bit higher than deck

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Pictures? See post #2.
    Thanks, sorry about that, I tried to post the URL to photobucket the last time, hopefully this works. I'm under the gun now, have the kids party coming up and the wife isn't giving me a "honey do list", the word isn't Honey!

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/vi...arped/library/

Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-05-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: fix-pix

When new members post, their post goes into a moderation queue and doesn't appear until one of us reads it and mods it in. We are on and off the forum all day long and try and clear the queue multiple times each day so usually it doesn't take too long before it appears.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Wow.

If it was me, I'd leave it alone. *LOTS* of pools are intentionally build pretty much that way.

Trying to lower the pool 2", or raise the deck that much, seems to me to be a huge amount of work with no particular benefit.

. . . . membership updated.

Exclamation Re: Help-small problem turning into big headache. Pool a bit higher than deck

Ok, thanks. So originally the installer (in my humble opinion), did a hack job. The reason I say that is because he didn't trim back the boards the way they are now. He left them and put the rail on top of the deck which put it at a slight angle and it was resting on the deck boards. At first I thought "that's good", because then the deck would support the rail and if anyone stood on it.

Then after reading, researching, and talking to the pool store, it seemed like that was bad as it was tilted a bit higher on the back edge, and also there would have been no way of getting the cable for the cover back there.

I'm not worried about making it level, it's more "keeping people off". I know FOLLOW THE RULES!. But my kids are very, very good, but when they have friends over or for instance a party coming up, I'm worried about the other kids. They are always supervised, but there's only so much you can control and I'm worried about it given it's brand new, I don't want anyone getting hurt, and ideally it would be good to have some sort of step there. Also stepping over the railing to get into the pool isn't "ideal", when little kids go in, they have a big step to get in.

I've read people make something that goes over the rail or overhangs, is there anything like that which would work?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Jbourne View Post
    Also stepping over the railing to get into the pool isn't "ideal", when little kids go in, they have a big step to get in.
    It's not visible in the pictures, but I assume that there's no gate onto the deck area? If so, that's a genuine hazard that probably needs to be fixed.

I've read people make something that goes over the rail or overhangs, is there anything like that which would work?
    Again, I'm not really sure what you're referring to, but I assume it's something NOT visible in the pictures.

+ Reply to Thread