+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fanta Sea Pool

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Fanta Sea Pool

By far the worst rust I have on the rails is on the diagonal rounds. The rest is more surface rust. I certainly want to avoid removing the outside 1x6 as that requires removing my custom fencing completely (Ben has a picture of my pool here somewhere). The 4x4's seem in good shape, and, since it is an "Add-a-Deck" they don't have the extended cantilever to support more than the 2' wide deck. Where we extended the deck a few years ago (on the East end) it is self-supporting, not relying on the FantaSea structure.

Looking at the price of A-C marine-grade PT, I have to say it's far, FAR cheaper than Leisure Living's wood walls--about 1/4 the price. Using wall foam over the ply means that you CAN use duct tape (not recommended when the liner is directly against the water wall. So I'm seriously considering taking your advice on that step. Even at $40/sheet, 14 sheets of marine ply are STILL, at $560 far less than the $$1800 + shipping quoted. That's a great idea!
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    By far the worst rust I have on the rails is on the diagonal rounds. The rest is more surface rust. I certainly want to avoid removing the outside 1x6 as that requires removing my custom fencing completely (Ben has a picture of my pool here somewhere). The 4x4's seem in good shape, and, since it is an "Add-a-Deck" they don't have the extended cantilever to support more than the 2' wide deck. Where we extended the deck a few years ago (on the East end) it is self-supporting, not relying on the FantaSea structure.

I know what you are saying about taking the pool apart to get at things. Don't worry about those diagonal rounds. If you do nothing at all they will last 100 years. Worry about the long term condition of the 4 angles on each rail. The top angles furthest away (AKA outside top) from the waterwall is the key item to watch (20 20 hindsight).

At the year 14 rebuild (1998), we replaced the FantaSea plywood waterwalls with the PT 3/4" plywood. We also cleaned and repainted the bottom rail. That is a must do item. We also have 4" X 4" posts every 2 feet on the side walls that we paid extra for at the time at the original installation.

As I recall, a few of the upper 2" X 6" PT solar panel / coping supports needed to be changed at that time on as needed basis. If the 2" X 6" supports are loose, then the top of the 4" X 4" posts may be rotted a bit. If the 2" X 6" PT supports are loose, warped or a bit rotted, the coping has mounting problems. Judgement call on what you need to do there. Until you take the coping and old liner off, you don't know what is needed.

While the waterwalls are removed, I would put a coat of paint on the waterwall side of the top rail angles. One time shot to paint that metal.

The above is plenty of work for you to complete in a timely manner. You can paint the top rail angles on a long term schedule as needed. Note high chlorine areas degrade first. Areas like the ladder, and the side where people tend to hang around.

Ladder area where failure occurred at about year 30.

Closeup of same area (AKA ladder = high chlorine wet rail area). Note the long term top upper outside angle deterioration to paper thin thickness and ultimate failure. Not bad for 30 years with no maintenance of the paint. Like you said, it is too much work to get to to do proper rail maintenance.

FantaSea AG pool, 16' x 32' x 4' flat bottom, Hayward T210 sand filter

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I appreciate all the insights. I have long been the sole FantaSea guy here. Again, I've seen the most destructive rust on the diagonals, not the angles. But I will look closer. For us, the wedding cake steps get far more use than the ladder. The perpetual leaks from the panels and the hose connections, an annual hunt, seem to do the most damage. Due to winter ice damage I had to reset every coping in late April and early May and there was no rot under them.
    Carl

Your pool is still a young pool, so I would expect there to be minimal rust and wood deterioration at this point in time. Your rebuild at 12 years of pool age should be easy (on a relative basis). Your next rebuild (at 25 to 30 years) will be the big one.

I thought the new style waterwall that you used was supposed to be an improvement over the FantaSea plywood waterwalls. I guess not. Not sure what the defect is related to the corrosion that you mentioned.

Make sure you take pictures of your rebuild as you go along and post them on this site. Your memory will fade over time on what you did, so a photo record is nice to have.

Remember that my pool is 30 years old, so age does take it's toll on the entire pool. I simply made a decision to replace the old wood (2" X 6", 2" X 4" and 1" X 6") because I did not want to touch the pool for the next 15 years.

The outer 1" X 6" wood was at the end of life. The 2" X 4" solar panel support located above the 1" X 6" trim was changed because of time management and fit and finish, and was not very expensive to change.

The 2" X 6" wood was in 8' sections, and was nailed into the 4" X 4" wall studs. Rusted nails, warping, nail rust damage to wood, water damage and split ends. We flipped them over at the year 14 rebuild and installed them with screws. After 30 years, there was no way to make a solid connection at the ends. I replaced them with a mix of 12' lengths and 8' lengths.

The 4" X 4" walls studs were inspected and replaced on an as needed basis (about 20%). Ant colony hidden in one of the studs located in the FantaSea poly wall supports.

Anyhow, the 30 year old FantaSea pool looks better after the rebuild than the pool looked when it was new.

When I get a chance I may post a few more photos of the FantaSea rebuild process. There is very little reference information about FantaSea repairs out there on the WWW.
    FantaSea AG pool, 16' x 32' x 4' flat bottom, Hayward T210 sand filter

All good suggestions. Galvanized screws do not do well, so everything in the rebuild will either be stainless or ceramic. No nails, not even ringed stainless. Also, my rails are cedar so galvanized is a no-no...it doesn't do well with cedar.

The aluminum and plastic walls have been a disappointment. Aluminum can easily "rust" if it is not properly anodized, or the anodization is breached, and it has, and, unfortunately on the liner side, not the visible side. Also, despite reinforcement every two feet, they bow out, badly.

I could easily get another season, as the liner's patches are sound and there are no leaks there. But I will be pushing my luck...and I will be another year older, too!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread