+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Murky algae pool

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Murky algae pool

These testing demos may be helpful to you:> http://pool9.net/K2006-vid/

Raise your chlorine back up to shock level which is based on your CYA level:> http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Two questions:

1. Are you sure your CH (calcium hardness) is 1,100?

That's 110 drops of reagent! If you haven't already, watch the Taylor videos: http://pool9.net/tk-guide/ and http://pool9.net/tk-interfere/

Also, please test the pH, TA and CH of the water you filled your pool with -- presumably your house water, but upstream of any softener, etc.

2. Can you explain the sequence of the "billowing clouds"? Where were these clouds billowing from?

I don't understand, since vacuuming to waste should have ZERO effect on your pool water, since the discharge water is going out the backwash line.

I did not test my house water. I did watch the Taylor video and also checked out the website that poolmom recommended.
    My pool water is still a cloudy blue (i.e. can't see the bottom of the pool). The "billowing clouds" are brown and come from the bottom of the pool when I vacuum or brush still but not as bad as they were. I do believe I still have mustard algae or else it is dead algae and that's causing the "clouds". (Please note, on the other side of my property, probably less than 50-100 yards from the pool is a drainage ditch for run off water from the city.) It has rained a couple of heavy downpours over the past week and I did add more borax and a couple gallons of bleach throughout the week. I read the levels yesterday morning and again this morning. Yesterday after reading the levels, I put in one box of borax, half a box at a time. Last night I added two gallons of bleach.

Here are the levels over the last couple of days.
    7/19: FC: 5 CC: 4.0 PH: 7.0 TA: 120 CH: 375 CYA:80
    7/20: FC: 8 CC: 2.5 PH: >8.0 (purplish color) TA: 100 CH: 290 CYA: 90

So the combined chlorine is dropping.
    I am going to look over the instructions again. Do I go ahead and use a floculant to drop everything to the ground so I can see what I have left in the pool? When I use the leaf net I don't get anything and when I vacuum to waste I am not getting much debris from the pool floor in the skimmer basket.
    18x36 IG vinyl, Hayward Sand Filter S220T, 1hp pump.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If your numbers are accurate, then your chlorine is no where high enough to kill algae. With a CYA of 90 (and by the way, you do NOT need to test this daily as it won't change that quickly and will just waste testing reagents), your shock level is 20ppm. But, if you truly do have mustard algae, your shock level may need to be even higher. But, since you haven't been maintaining consistent readings of 20, I'd try that first before deciding to go higher. Again, the chart with the CYA/Chlorine connection is here:> http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

Keep the chlorine at shock level until you meet these 3 criteria:
    1) You lose no more than 1ppm of FC from sundown one evening to within an hour of sunrise the next morning
    2) You have no greater than 0.5ppm of CC
    3) Your water is clear and no patches or spots of algae anywhere

At that point, we recommend keep the chlorine high for at least one additional day and then let it drift down but never let it drop below the minimum from the chart which is based on your CYA reading.

I would NOT use a floc at this time. There is no reason to. I think your problem is that you haven't killed the algae because of inadequate chlorine levels.

I just had a business meeting at my house and one of the individuals used to have a pool company. He said it is dead algae, not mustard algae. I will try what you suggested. Thanks Watermom.
    18x36 IG vinyl, Hayward Sand Filter S220T, 1hp pump.

You are welcome. Keep us posted how things are going.

@Crazy Cat Lady ------ i moved the post you tagged onto the end of this thread and started your own thread. You can find it here:
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...rky-algae-pool

+ Reply to Thread