+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Intex above ground owner - Psuedomonas?

Default New Intex above ground owner - Psuedomonas?

Ok, we just filled up our Intex 22'x52" Ultra Frame Above Ground Pool and I need to know what to do chemical wise in order to use it for the first time. This is what we have purchased-
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Robelle-Po...e-Kit/24403014
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Chemi...25lbs/17126435
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Chem-...-10pk/24230341

Should I start out using the Robelle setup/maintenance kit's directions(which start with Algaestroy, then followed by the other stuff) and then add the chlorine tabs to a floater, then wait a few hours and then use shock? The Intex website recommends diluting the tabs in water to avoid bleaching the liner, should I just pop them in there straight out of the bucket anyways?

How long should I wait after all this is said and done till it's safe to enter the pool?
    Thanks for any help!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: First time pool owner(Intex above ground)...questions..

Can you take that stuff back? It would be great to just use our Super Simple Start-up Recipe instead of the Robelle kit. I have no idea what is in that kit and you don't want to put unknown stuff in your pool. You can read about the recipe here:> http://pool9.net/ssr/

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

Thanks! I've already opened the kit last night because it came with test strips and I ended up putting two of the Aqua Chem tablets in a floater while running the filter pump thingy.. I have yet to open the box of Aqua Chem Shock though. I went by the pool store today and they tested my water(wasnt sure if the test strips I used were accurate, they weren't). These are the results:
    Free Available Chlorine 0.56
    Total Chlorine 0.56
    Combined Chlorine 0
    Ph Level 7
    Total Alkalinity 42
    Calcium Hardness 61
    Cyanuric Acid 3
    Copper 0
    Iron 0
    Manganese 0
    Nitrates 0
    Total Dissolved Solids 0
    Phosphates 0
    Saturation Index -1.2
    Endure 0

He said we could swim today, but to shock it tonight to bring up the chlorine levels, but not to use anything with Dichlor and instead to use some with Cal-Hyoe? I read the ingredients on my shock and it does contain Dichlor something or other and says you can get in the pool after 15 mins? I don't understand why it would not be compatible with the tablets I'm using since they are made by the same company. Will it bring my CYA up too much if I use it tonight? Will the chlorine levels be safe by tomorrow morning if I use it tonight? I'm scared to use those strips now since they aren't accurate and I think the pool place is closed tomorrow. Spent so much money on these chemicals and would hate for them to go to waste... Should I use them this summer and do the bbb method next year? I'm so confused over all this stuff

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

First thing is you need to get your own kit. Pool stores are notorious for inaccurate testing. I can tell by looking at your numbers that they are totally bogus. Test strips are no better.

The test kit that we think is by far the best is the Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). Not available locally but you can get it through this link that takes you to Amazon: http://pool9.net/tk/

But, in the meantime, go to Walmart and see if they have the HTH 6-Way drops-based kit (no test strips!) and get that. If they don't, get an OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops) instead. Use it to test and then post your numbers.

It makes no sense for him to tell you that you can't use dichlor. That is totally ridiculous. However, many pool chemical companies are adding unwanted ingredients into their products that can cause problems. I have no idea what is in the AquaChem products. What are the specific ingredients in the dichlor and trichlor?

For this evening while you are figuring out what to use, why don't you just add a little bleach to your pool. Maybe about 2/3 of one of the 121-oz jugs of Walmart's generic bleach. Pour it slowly into the skimmer while the pump is running or in front of a return jet. That will keep some chlorine in there and keep algae away. It won't take long for a new pool to turn green! It is fine to swim a half hour or so after you add bleach. Just give it a few minutes to mix in.

Until you get some CYA built up, your chlorine isn't gonna stick around long. So, you may have to add bleach a couple times per day.

Thank you. I tried looking online for those two test kits at Walmart(the HTC and OTO) but it says they are not carried in my area).

I just priced the Taylor test kits and the ingredients and I don't think it's going to be doable right now after the money we spent on the other chemicals, pool, and the fact that my husband is currently replacing the deck on the back of our house. So I'm probably going to be stuck trying to swing it and get by with the current stuff and try the bbb method next summer. Unless you have any other suggestions? Should I just go ahead and use the shock I have tonight since I'm not going to be able to do the bbb method yet? Thanks for the help!

Not knowing if there are other unwanted ingredients in those products, I can't really advise you very well. The dichlor you have may be ok but without knowing exact ingredients, can't say for sure.

Without being able to test accurately and without knowing what ingredients you are putting in your pool, unfortunately, I think our ability to help is pretty limited.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I know it sounds pompous to say this, but NOT having the test kits will cost you FAR more money, plus time and trouble than having them. The HTH 6-Way Drop Test Kit from WalMart is $22.47. I'm not a WalMart fan but it is the only place to get this, the cheaper alternative to the K-2006, and if you don't have the K-2006, then you need this.

It's not up to me to tell you how to manage your money but if you can't afford the HTH kit, I don't see how you can afford to maintain a pool.

You can later add the Taylor K-1515A for about $19 (the FAS-DPD chlorine test that is the key to the K-2006) to give you virtually the same functionality as the K-2006. Plus refills for things like the CYA test are readily available.
    Carl

Thank you both for the replies.
    To answer CarlD- I wasn't saying I couldn't afford the HTH kit, it's actually is not available in my area, so I did not have fast access to run out and purchase it. One of those kits linked was like $95 shipped and one of the ingredients was around $100 thru Amazon, so since we just spent a bunch on the maintenance/startup kit, tablets, and shock, it seemed a little overwhelming to think about going out and spending at least $200 more right away and I was hoping to use what I already had.

As far as everything else goes, here is an update. My husband did find an OTO yellow/ted kit at our local walmart. I have used it every few days. I have shocked my pool twice (around 6 days apart) using the AQua
    chem Dichlor shock I linked above. I have also used 3 of the tablets in our floating dispenser, used the Algastroy 50 once cause we had a heavy rain, and used the Ph rise once. It got my Ph level up to 7.8, but it has since fallen after the last shock. My chlorine levels seems to be staying on the low side(anything from clear to around 1) except after I shock, then it looks like around 3-5, but will fall back down after a day or so. I have only used my test strips to check the stabilizer(CYA) which according to them still seems like it's low. I need to get my chlorine levels to stay up, but I'm afraid if I continue using the Dichlor shock and Tablets that it will raise my CYA too much.

One other thing that is of concern is I noticed Sunday that I have broken out in a itchy bumpy rash on the inside of my upper arm and the area on my side where it meets when my arm is down. At first I thought maybe it was an allergic reaction to a bug bite or something, but I've never had a reaction to a bug bite before now. I am the only one that has been in the pool that has broke out so far, but I am concerned it could be hot tub rash(pseudomonas aeruginosa) from my chlorine levels being on the low side. Is it too late for me to straighten my pool out? If I just get my chlorine levels up to around 3 and they stay there will my pool be safe or do I have to drain it? I saw that one of the test kits was like $59 after going back thru the thread, I can order it on Friday, but till I can get more chemicals can I get by on bleach as long as my Ph is around 7-7.4 and my CYa probably isn't too high yet? Should we stay out of the pool or am I being paranoid since the rash isn't all over my body and it's only me that has broke out?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

We are not doctors and cannot diagnose rashes. However, I would suspect that if it were a problem with something going on in the pool, which is unlikely, it would be much more widespread. Probably best to see your doctor if it continues.

Test strips are horrible at reading CYA levels. Go ahead and order the kit on Friday so you will have the ability to test properly and get good readings. Since your pool has only been filled for a few weeks, I doubt that your CYA is too high yet so using dichlor or bleach would be ok.

You are using products that we don't support and that can be risky. Most algaecides should not be used. I know nothing about the one you mention but am skeptical about it. The only algaecide we recommend is Polyquat 60% but even that is not routinely needed. If your pH goes too low, instead of using pH rise, you can just use 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle at Walmart).

Thank you. I am hoping whatever it is will be gone in the next few days, but if it is not I am definitely going to have my doctor check it out.

As far as the CYA I think I read that for 1lb of Dichlor it adds around 9ppm of CYA and every 3" tablet adds around 3 or 6? Is that correct? So until I get the test kit in my hands is it safe to say that I'm probably somewhere in between 27-33. I've shocked twice and only added 3 tablets total. Is that a range that should start holding my chlorine levels? I don't mind adding bleach, BUT if I still need to build up some more CYA then should I shock it with the Dichlor shock I have on hand(since it also adds CYA) another time or two and then start adding the bleach in so I'm not wasting as much bleach? And when I do add bleach how much and how often would you recommend? Am I going to be pouring a bottle in every night or would it be like a cup or so once my chlorine levels are stable?

I will try to order some Polyquat soon and get some Borax at the store.

Thank you so much for your help!

+ Reply to Thread