+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duck Home

Talking Duck Home

My wife and I moved into our house about 1 1/2 years ago. Two reasons we bought it. Our gandaughter lives across the street and there is a pool in the back yard.

Last year we had two nests, right next to the pool. We have tried to discourage the nest building but found the new one right next to the pool with 13 eggs.

Someone told me if I put a rubber snake next to the pool, it will discourage the nest building. Didn't work. She(the duck) did attack the snake since I found it about three feet away from where I had placed it. We are now waiting for the ducklings to appear.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Yeah, I've fought the nest-building thing too, but with swallows under my porch. When I knocked down the nest and put a rubber snake up, they built on top of the snake. When I put mothballs in the nest, they dropped them back onto my front door mat. I gave up, and am now just thankful that I don't have a mosquito problem.......if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!!

Janet

Default Re: Duck Home

I don't have duck problems, but I have problems with my daughter's projects. She has two new roosters who have just reached adult size and they are nosey.
    My hubby swears that chickens are one of the less intellegent animals, I didn't agree till we opened the pool. They like to roost (we have an above ground) on the side rails, yep they've fell in and had to be rescued because they couldn't get out and were risk of drowning. not to mention, they like to doo doo on everything they get near. it's not only gross but unhealthy.
    The only solution we came up with is caged, but these are free range projects and have to be. If we cage them, she has to start out fresh with another project animal. I put too much time in training her on taking care of them from the time they hatched to do that.
    Any suggestions? The fake snake won't work, they like to chase snakes. I think they think they're just huge worms.
    Sissy

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

Quote Originally Posted by chuds
    yep they've fell in and had to be rescued because they couldn't get out and were risk of drowning.

Sissy
    Sounds like natural selection at work here. Maybe she can move tangentially from free range project to Darwin.........just a thought.

CaryB

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Quote Originally Posted by chuds
    ... Any suggestions? ...
    Sissy
    Sharp knife, flour, salt, pepper, peanut oil, and a hot skillet. (Though you might want to turn them into capons first; the sharp knife will help there too.)

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

"Cute!!???!!!???!!"

"DUCKS are cute!!!!" -- Susan Sarandon as "Annie Savoy--Bull Durham"
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread