+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mustard algae...now cloudy aqua green/blue!!!

Default Mustard algae...now cloudy aqua green/blue!!!

My pool is an Intex 14' by 4' round pool with standard pump.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed "pollen" collecting at the bottom of my pool. I would vacuum it out of the pool, as the filter would not grab it but instead spit it back out into the pool, and refill my pool

After many searches on how to ride pollen from your pool I realized it was mustard algae not pollen = /

I applied two rounds of algicide (for green and yellow algae, not copper based), 24 hours apart, keeping my pump running for about 35 hours, scrubbing the walls like mad all while keeping the chlorine levels to high - this is what I was told to do by a pool guy.
    Now my pool is cloudy aqua green/blue and I have no idea what to do.
    On the personal side I'm 8 months pregnant, it's over 100', and I'm having hip problems - I need my pool!

Please help...Thank you.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Mustard algae...now cloudy aqua green/blue!!!

1. Drain the pool, and refill.
    2. Read, and follow, the Super Simple Recipe: http://pool9.net/ssr/

On a 3,000 gallon soft-side pool, it's cheaper and easier to drain and refill, then it is to clean up. The pumps and filters supplied with your pool are adequate -- just barely -- to keep your pool clean. But they are too small, and the cartridges too low quality, to clean up algae in your lifetime. (Well, not lifetime -- but it can take a month, literally!).

Go heavy on the bleach while filling - there is algae residue that you must clean up, and not allow to grow. At all!

Not the news I wanted to hear but thank you for your quick response. I have a few questions to make sure I do this right/my husband does not kill me = )
    1. When you say "go heavy on the bleach" what do you mean. My pool is 3,600 gallons so using your outline 1 dose=3/4 cup. Do you suggest I up that to 1 cup=1 dose? How much bleach is too much bleach?
    2. I'm worried about re-contamination. Should/Can I wipe down the walls and floors with bleach prior to refill?
    3. How do I treat the pool floaties, vacuum/other pool supplies and bathing suits to ensure the pool does not become re-contaminated with the mustard algae?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your response.
    3.9k gal 14 x 4 Intex. PF=31

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. Add a cup of bleach as soon as you have a 6 inches of water in the pool. Then, add a cup of bleach each evening, till it's full. Test before adding; if the chlorine is dark yellow, skip the dose.

2,3. Re-contamination is not the issue to focus on. The pool is CONSTANTLY being contaminated by algae and bacterial spores. Instead, focus on filling with clear water, replacing the Intex cartridges with Unicel cartridges, and making sure the chlorine never gets low.

I did as instructed and have not had a problem for weeks! Thanks so much!
    3.9k gal 14 x 4 Intex. PF=31

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If you have 3600 gallons of water (remember, it's the height of the water, not the height of the pool that you use) 1 cup of 8.25% bleach will add about 1.4ppm of chlorine.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread