Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electrical for pool

Default Electrical for pool

Ok guys. I have decided to run the electrical for the pool myself. It will be inspected so I know I will eventially get every thing right if not on 1st shot.
    My question is what do other peoples set ups look like.
    I am thinking of running a pool sub pannel (60 - 100amps) down to the to the pad with room for at least 3 other circuits. will power the pump, 1.5 hp with GFI breaker from it, and light 120 v /500watt, and additional receptical for out door lighting. It seems in reading code you must have an additional seperate line for a convience receptical. Does this need to come off the main panel or can it come off the sub at the pad? Looking for specifics of best setups people have; breaker sizes etc. thanks chris
    Blding 18x36 IG vinyl rectangle with custom inpool steps, 22,000 gallons. Chris In Chapel Hill, NC us7sail@earthlink.net

Default Re: Electrical for pool

I installed a 20 amp break in my main box. It runs just the pool pump. I had to put a twist lock in for the pump and was required to put a GFI inline and then run the twist lock receptical off of it. Since my pool is about 25' from my house. I qas required to trench 18" and I put the wire in 1.5" plastic confuit. I could not use romex. The city wanted the ground wire insulated.

I also have an outdoor Internatic timer wired in front of my twist lock.

Frank

psciotti Guest

I'm not an electrician but don't forget about a circuit for a possible heater, a possible booster pump for a non robotic cleaner, and don't forget to ground the pool.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Similar for me. But I have a deck, and code allows a conduit to be run attached to the underside of the deck, rather than buried. The switch and twist-lock outlet for the pump are mounted on the deck. GFI breaker in the box in the basement, and a timer's there, too. The service outlet is a separate circuit, also GFI, completely separate, on the deck, as part of the house (it was there). Of of it is another outlet, under the deck, but with a switch for it on the deck. This outlet is for the pool lights, both 12v.

I had to have an electrical permit as well as a building permit, but this setup passed.

Here's what the pump setup looks like. The old tennis ball is a CRITICAL component... :

Last edited by CarlD; 06-09-2006 at 09:20 AM.
    Carl

You might try taking a look at

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homew...bove/index.htm

I know that this website is directed at above ground pools, but I think a lot of the information presented is applicable to both. He also has another page for in-ground but it is not as detailed as the aboveground page.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homew...perm/index.htm

beary is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst beary 0

Great discussion. My pump and heater will be at the far end of the pool from the house. I plan in the future (when my CPA wife allows) to build a pool house near the equipment area, so I know I have to get a lot of electricity to that area. Not only that, I want to run some lights as well.

My pool contractor told me that I need a two foot trench from the house to the pool, but then it could be buried under the concrete pad next to the pool, so I don't have to dig a trench the length of the pool. He also suggested I run conduit anywhere I might want to have electricity later so that all I would need to do is feed the wire through the conduit when I get permission from the CPA. Sounds reasonable, but this is all new to me.

I have been told to do as much work myself as legal to save money. Just how much work is that?

So much to learn, so much to know.

Beary

Edmond Ok

Yes. Do as much as possible yourself. I always do all my own work. You save soo much money.

Check with the city to see what depth you need to bury your conduit. They should have all the guidlnes for you. When my bro in law did his he used metal conduit and only had to go 8" in the ground. I used plastic and had to go 18".

I would run 4- #6awg thhn wires (2-blk, 1-wht, 1-grn) in a 1" schedule 40 PVC gray conduit. Do not exceed 360deg in bends atleast 18" deep. Install it on a 60amp breaker in your existing main panel. Use the same mfg breaker as your existing panel. Mount a 12/24 outdoor main lug subpanel. Any conduit above ground may have to be schedule 80. You should be able to run sealtight (gray liquid-tite flex) to your motors. Try not to run the sealtight over six feet. If you do not want to spend the money on a GFI breaker for the light mount a outdoor box underneath the panel with a GFI in it and run conduit to your light from there.
    John..

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

To answer your innitial question, no, you do not need to run a second line from the house, the sub panel, if installed off the main panel correctly will allow you to hook up as many breakers/individual circuits as it will accomodate.

thanks for all the input. Any body have pictures of their subpanel setup. thanks chris
    Blding 18x36 IG vinyl rectangle with custom inpool steps, 22,000 gallons. Chris In Chapel Hill, NC us7sail@earthlink.net

Closed Thread