+ Reply to Thread

Thread: looking to purchase a hard sided pool for next year

mommak is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst mommak 0

Default looking to purchase a hard sided pool for next year

I was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations for a good hard sided pool? What are some good brands to look at?
    Intex AG, 18' x 48", 7,500 gallons,
    Intex Sand Filter-SF 20110
    K-2006 Test Kit

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: looking to purchase a hard sided pool for next year

I like to buy from my local pool place. (That is exactly what I did when I last replaced my pool which was in 2012.) That way, if there is a problem I have someplace to go rather than have to ship something so big back to someplace. Just my $0.02.

I may have to go browsing next week. Still would appreciate some suggestions as to companies or brands of pools. The more I look, I may be leaning towards a 27' x 54" (or 52"). Just have no clue as to which manufacturers are reliable and offer good pool packages.
    Also, what size sand filter and pump would be required for a pool that size?
    What about foam for inside the pool wall's?
    Differences in liner choices?
    K-2006 Test Kit

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

This thread was very interesting. Lifetime warranty, semi-inground p=ossibilities, really pretty too. 15' is all that will fit in our yard, so we'll stay with soft-side pools.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...7-Metric-Build
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

As far as I can tell brands change all the time and a particular manufacturer will make many brands, some pool store specific. I believe Doughboy is a consistent brand with a good reputation.

Packages - I don't know - Ladder you'll need, also vacuum and hose, pole skimmer, leaf rake if you have trees nearby, skimmer and return, pump and filter. Pool package chemicals you don't need.

Bigger filter - smaller pump yields energy savings and improved water quality. Many AG pools are packaged with oversized pumps and undersized filters. A 24" sand filter with a 2 speed 1HP pump will work well.

I have 1/4" closed cell foam on my walls, it feels soft. Foam will increase the chance of puncturing the liner.

Liners - thicker is usually better - watch out for guage and mil; mil is an actual measurement - higher is thicker, I believe guage is opposite where higher is thinner.

If I did it again, I'd add foam cove, our installer built up insufficient sand in one area of our pool and now I worry it might leak because I can feel the steel lower rail.

Good luck and welcome!
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Pappy, that radiant metric pool looks great. We have a very large yard that could definitely hold a 24-27 foot pool.
    I just have no idea what kind to look into or which manufacturers are reliable.
    K-2006 Test Kit

I can say for sure that Doughboy pools are high quality and very user friendly to install. I installed tons of them over forty years and the quality was always consistent.

Big Dave, a 25 gauge liner is definitely thicker than a twenty gauge, it's just a different standard of measure. A 25 gauge is very close in thickness to a 20 mil. Either are perfect for most above ground pools. A 20 gauge is less expensive and fine if you just need a couple of seasons out of it.

Be very careful about the liner resting on the bottom rail. Without a cove, one little tear and that liner opens up wide, very fast. The pool will be empty in a couple minutes. Liner on metal is never a good thing.
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

@hrsdennis: Thanks for the the guage school, not sure why I thought it was like wires and shotgun shells. I am really concerned about the liner on the rail - any suggestions short of drain and reset? Should I drain the pool and rebuild the cove?

The only safe way to deal with it is to get a cove back in behind the liner. If you want to use the same liner again be sure to leave a few inches of water in the bottom. It makes it more of a job but keeps the liner from shrinking.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

+ Reply to Thread