+ Reply to Thread

Thread: maintaining chlorine level while away

Default maintaining chlorine level while away

I've been using the BBB method so far this summer. In years past, used trichlor tabs which has resulted in CYA over 100. Now, we're planning to go away for a few days & I'm not sure what to do. I saw HTH 3-in-1 cal hypo tabs (calcium level is only 50, plus I have a vinyl liner anyway), but have read that they contain copper.

Please help!!! Any suggestions?
    22k gal 18x36 vinyl rectangle pool, Hayward DE filter, Hayward 1 HP pump, 8hrs daily, mesh winter cover, solar heat. PF=5.5

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: maintaining chlorine level while away

How many days are you going to be away? What are your current water readings and what kind of kit do you have? Do you have anybody who can come by and pour in some bleach while you are gone? Is your pump on a timer?

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    How many days are you going to be away? What are your current water readings and what kind of kit do you have? Do you have anybody who can come by and pour in some bleach while you are gone? Is your pump on a timer?
    We're going away for 4 days. I just got my K-2006 yesterday. Used it last night - FC=4, pH=7.2, TA=100, CYA over 100 - not surprised since both tests done at the pool store over the last few weeks recorded CYA at 105 & 100 (although, now reading the testing instructions again, I realize that I didn't mix the sample for 30 seconds after adding the R-0013. Don't know how that might have affected the results). Today I'm going to test using the directions in the booklet, using 50% pool water & 50% tap water.

I'm trying to avoid bothering my neighbor, but will ask if that's really my only option - if they're not going away themselves for July 4th. And yes, the pump is on a timer.
    22k gal 18x36 vinyl rectangle pool, Hayward DE filter, Hayward 1 HP pump, 8hrs daily, mesh winter cover, solar heat. PF=5.5

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Go ahead and dilute and test again and see what you get. But, I will tell you that for the most part the booklet that comes with the kit is not good. Better off to just use methods learned here on the forum, although in this case dilution is the correct thing to do.

If you have a high CYA and are only going to be gone for 4 days, you should be in good shape. If you shock the pool before you leave, you will most likely come back to a pool that still has chlorine in it. That is one of the advantages of running a HiC2 (high chlorine/high CYA) pool. I would also take the pH higher than it is now before you leave, probably up to 7.7 or so.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Exactly as Watermom says. What I did when I would be gone for as long as two weeks is set up a bunch of gallons of bleach, and have someone add one every other day. Seemed to work just fine.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread