+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skimmer not catching debris floating on surface

Default Skimmer not catching debris floating on surface

The surface debris won't make it's way to the skimmer.
    I have to wind up using a net to clean it up.
    The skimmer has plenty of suction and the weir flap is working properly.

I think it's the directions of my return jets that is the problem. I don't know what else it can be.

The pool is rectangular. The skimmer is at one end.
    There are two eyeball jets on one of the long sides. They are about 5' from each end.
    There is another jet on the other long side, close to the middle.

Should I point them all toward the skimmer? That's what I have now and it doesn't work.

Should I try to make a circular current? If so which jets should I adjust to go which way?
    Should they be pointed downward or toward the surface?

Thank you for any advice.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Debris floating on surface

Every pool is different. I have an 4' deep oval pool with a return right next to the skimmer. I've found I get the best skimming by pointing the return to the opposite end of the pool and down. The current appears to follow the bottom then expand at the wall rising to the surface creating a surface current that bring a lot of surface debris toward the skimmer.

My advice: experiment until you find what works for your pool.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If your skimmer is on the UPWIND side of your pool, with respect to the prevailing wind direction . . . the only complete fix is to move the skimmer. (SORRY!)

Another common problem is that the weir (floaty or flappy thing) inside your skimmer is missing or broken. That can make a BIG difference.

Yet another is insufficient flow through your skimmer, to actually pull surface film into the skimmer.

Adjusting eyeballs to improve flow can also help, but if you get a circular current going, make sure it's not so fast it sweeps everything right past the skimmer.

. . . membership upgraded.

The prevalent southerly winds are completely blocked by the house.
    The weir is in good working order.
    I don't know how to judge the skimmer flow. I only know there is plenty of suction from the skimmer to the pump.
    I'm going to play around with the jets and see if I can make them push the debris toward the skimmer.

Thank you both for your replies.
    IG pool

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I don't know how to judge the skimmer flow. I only know there is plenty of suction from the skimmer to the pump.
    Scatter some baby powder on the water in a 3 foot area around the skimmer. If the skimmer and weir are working properly, it will be drawn into the skimmer in about a 1 foot half circle around the skimmer throat. Doing this will also let you see what's happening with respect to the currents in your pool.

I did as you suggested and sprinkled an arc of powder 3' in front of the skimmer. It sucked it all in.
    Part of the powder to the right of the skimmer mouth was pushed more to the right away from the skimmer by some kind of current. It all came back and disappeared into the skimmer.
    IG pool

If you collected a 3' radius, that's the best you can expect. That means your problem is circulation of wind.

FWIW, I flew multi-line kites with my boys for a number of years, and you end up learning things about wind you never knew before. Even though your house is between the pool and the wind, that doesn't mean you're home free. Your pool is in your house's 'wind shadow', and often you'll get ground air moving in the opposite the main wind direction, in the area close to a significant shadowing object. With a kite, that means your kite 'collapses' and even drifts in toward you. With a pool, it could mean that the debris moved TOWARD the wind.

My pool is rectangular laid out east and west.
    The skimmer is on the west end.
    If the wind shadow caused north winds they would blow across the pool and be neutral to the skimmer.
    I guess I could fashion some kind of wind sock and see if there is a persistent wind blowing against the skimmer.
    If there is I don't know much I can do about it, but at least I can stop wasting time trying to fix it by adjusting my jets.

I should have added that there is a 3' rock wall on the north edge of the pool, which should block any northerly ground winds.
    I haven't noticed debris collecting on any side of the pool as though blown and kept there by wind.
    It seems to just float around randomly and not be pushed toward the skimmer.

BTW- I appreciate your trying to help me with this.
    Last edited by WillB; 07-04-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    IG pool

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    It seems to just float around randomly and not be pushed toward the skimmer.
    If that's the case, then it may not be wind. You can always check by throwing some dry leaves on the pool, and then watching.

But . . . if it is random movement, then you may be able to at least partially solve the problem by aligning the jets to create a rotary current. If you can't swivel your eyeballs enough, you can purchase these:

Hayward SP1419A 1-1/2-Inch MIP Inlet Fitting

I just ordered three of them. I'll probably be trying them next weekend.
    Thank you.
    IG pool

+ Reply to Thread