+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward pump running hot

Default Hayward pump running hot

I changed my 5 year old pump because it was getting hot. It was so hot the paint bubbled. Before I pulled it out of service I read the amperage and it read 6.8 amps at 230 volts (it's a 1 hp pump, Hayward model 2607X10). I was told by a motor expert (not a pool pump guy) this pump should be using around 2 amps under normal conditions so the bearings or pump itself must be going bad. Rather than try to fix it I bought a new one. I just installed it and it also is overheating, though not as bad, (hot to the touch after 20 minutes) and is pulling 6.8 amps. I tested the pump with both the suction and discharge side disconnected and got 6.8 amps. This, to me, indicates no obstructions. I'm at a loss. I don't know what else to check. Do all pumps run hot? I'm afraid I'm going to burn up my new pump.

Default Re: Hayward pump running hot

All pumps that run at 3450 rpm will be too hot to touch after about 20 minutes. They run around 140 - 150 F. If your rating plate says that the amp draw should be 6.8 and you are seeing that reading there should be no problem.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Your motor expert is wrong. Theoretically it's 746 watts per HP. That would be at 100% efficiency which doesn't happen in real life. Here's what I measured on my pump 17 May 2001...same number as yours, 2607X10 with a Fluke 33 clamp-on ammeter.
    At 15 PSI 7.51 amp
    At 25 PSI 6.4 amp. Flow blocked.
    Mine has been running on the 9th season now. No maintenance at all. Relax and enjoy the pool.
    Al
    I know...I'm a sick puppy for keeping this kind of data.
    Last edited by Poconos; 06-08-2006 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks guys. I never thought I'd get any replies on this because it was such a specialized problem. I love you geeky guys that keep ridiculous data for years. Knowing your pump is drawing as many amps as mine really puts my mind at ease. I didn't think anybody paid attention to that kind of stuff. Thanks a million and more.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Glad I made your day.
    Al

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You are right. Some people do keep loads of ridiculous data for years. For what? I want you to know, you just made Al's day by giving him a reason to tell me, "See, that's why I keep all this data. You never know when you'll need it." Cuz I usually bug him about keeping it all for no reason. Example - he writes down every drop of gas he buys for his truck, the price to the thousandths place, the number of gallons he buys, his odometer reading, etc. Then, he never again looks at it. When I ask him why, "because you'll never know when you need it." You have made him a happy camper right about now!

cwstnsko is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst cwstnsko 0

A friend of mine had a pump that was running hot. I didn't think much of it, but when we were draining a good chunk of his pool to drop the CYA, we started hearing an occaisional popping noise, then the pump shut down. I little poking around revealed that the pump had been wired with 14 gauge wire 18 years ago. During the heavy load of the partial drain, we blew one of the wires leading to the pump in two! We re-wired it with 10 gauge to the breaker and it runs much cooler now and his electric bill is less.

Who knows how long that wire was running hot with excesive voltage drop. When voltage drops, current goes up, until something gives out.

I'm on the same page as Poconos (Al?). I track miles and gallons in my car to look for seasonal trends in my gas mileage. What can I do about it? Nothing, it's just something I wanted to know. Is Al, by chance, an engineer? I am and I think we all think alike.

Yup...retired EE. And most of the time I drive some people nuts.
    Al

EDIT by Watermom: Uhhh.... ya!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread