Thread: Simple Salt?

Default Simple Salt?

I have ordered a new pool that is to be delivered in the next few weeks, the pool company that I purchased the pool from talked me into the the Simple Salt System by Simple Blue. I have never owned a pool before, so I am trying to do some research on this product. I cannot find any real good information if this is a good or bad product? I am concerned about the amount of copper that may end up in the water, and staining everything green. Also after looking at the cost of the 16 week chemical packages for this system ($399.00), I have a hard time believing that this any cheaper than your typical chemicals for one season. thanks to all for the help!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Simple Salt?

Bottom line: It's not.

Salt water chlorination systems (SWCG) are great, especially if you travel and can't watch your pool every day. But they can only save you money if you don't have to hire a pool service because you have one!
    They simply will cost more than just use sensible maintenance methods. I took care of my first and second pools for 13 years without an SWCG and only installed one because we travel a lot more now. I love it but it does NOT save me money.

Second point: People are sold SWCGs by pool companies with they idea they don't have to do anything to have clear water. Very dangerous. You will be MUCH better off learning the simple A-B-C's of pool care we teach here and our recommended BBB system (for Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda). So you'll be FAR better off if you read up here and on our sister site PoolSolutions.com on how to use these methods.

They are easy. You do need a good test kit (we recommend the Taylor Technologies K-2006 and K-2006C kits). The methods are not magic, the chemicals are not mysterious or magical. But you do need to master them and comprehend them. Once you do, THEN if you add an SWCG to your pool, you'll know EXACTLY what to expect and how to enjoy it.

But, since you are getting the pool with an SWCG, it doesn't mean you NOW have to depend on it. I still recommend you learn how to take care of your pool without it, which isn't hard, and THEN let it make your job even easier.

However, to be frank, I have NO idea what the 16 Week Chemical Packages are, though, obviously, one is supposed to be good for the season. And $399 for chemicals for the season is far MORE than I would spend on my pool each year BEFORE I installed the SWCG. If I spent $200/season it was a lot.
    Carl

thanks for your help!! Here is the 16 week chemical kit that I was talking about http://shopleisuredepot.com/simple%2...stem-16%20week
    You hit the nail on the head when you said that the pool company was trying to sell this product as a install and then you just have to add the vivid and shimmer as directed and not have to do anything else to the pool. I also questioned the 16 week kit for the $399.00 price tag and the sales lady said that is what I should expect to pay in chemicals if I were to just use the regular maintenance/chemicals. Thanks again.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Whoa!

Not only will this Simple Salt Complete set cost you a fortune it will do bad things to your pool!
    $549 for....
    (1) Simple Salt Complete System
    (1) Simple Salt Prime
    (8) Simple Salt Vivid
    (16) Simple Salt Power Booster Plus (Shimmer)
    (1) 40 lb. Bag Salt

I can only be assured what one of these is: A $40 lb bag of Pool Salt at my Home Depot is $7.49.

All this other stuff is garbage. You can't "boost" the power of a SWCG to converter Sodium Chloride (Salt) into useable Chlorine by adding other stuff. Nor do you need to. Properly set up, and running, with the recommended level of CYA (Stabilizer) your SWCG will take care of itself.

The ONLY "other stuff" they actually specify is copper and silver to kill algae--which it will but we HIGHLY RECOMMEND AGAINST IT! Copper turns blond hair green and adding metals to pool water is something we try to AVOID and try to REMOVE. Yet pool chem companies and other slick manufacturers persist in pushing them in "Nature2" and "Dual Acting Tablets" as if this is a good thing.

Just using our simple and clear BBB system will give you FAR better results...tested by thousands of pool owners WITHOUT it being a product "sold" by PoolDoc or this site.

It's also a logical system.

Chlorine is used to sanitize your pool. Algae, in and of itself is not dangerous, but the chlorine gets consumed fighting it, and isn't available to kill really dangerous bacteria from things like the little amounts of fecal matter everyone carries into the pool. A properly chlorinated pool metabolizes and sanitizes that matter--keeping you and your swimmers safe.

pH is the balance between too acid and too alkaline. Too acid and it melts the vinyl in the pool and burns your skin. Too alkaline and it robs your chlorine of sanitizing power and can even burn your skin as well. Neutral is ideal, but "True Neutral" (pH=7) isn't real-world ideal. 7.2-7.8 is ideal.

CYA/Stabilizer is like sun screen for chlorine. Chlorine's tough, but UV rays are its weak spot, breaking it down in as little as 15 minutes. CYA helps protect against it....BUT it is a two-edged sword that weakens chlorine's ability to sanitize by slowing it down. So....a higher maintenance level of chlorine is required to keep the pool sanitary, and the UV sunlight from breaking it down.

And...to make it work you need the right test kit: The Taylor K-2006/K-2006C

That's really the heart of pool care: Chlorine, pH, and the balance between CYA and Chlorine levels.

Everything else is ancillary.
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by nickneed View Post
    I am concerned about the amount of copper that may end up in the water, and staining everything green.
    Simple salt's website definitely says it adds copper into your water. I'd try and cancel the order or return it if possible. You're dead on about staining, both pools and hair. Metals are a PITA to remove from a pool. They're also a poor sanitizer, and without chlorine (or bromine, not that I'm suggesting it) will leave you with a pool that is dangerous for your family. Copper can help keep algae under control but doesn't do anything for viruses and bacteria. Which are of course the main reason to sanitize a swimming pool.

Here's a good read on the subject: http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/mine...es-a-scam.html

Even if you can't get your money back, I still wouldn't put the copper into my pool. Better to at least wind up with a pool that is enjoyable and safe to use.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10