+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bucket Testing

Default Bucket Testing

Hello I'm new to the Forum and have an unique problem with chlorine demand. Specifically I have not yet put enough chlorine in to get the FC high enough for long enough to hold a FC reading that is needed. I thought by knowing the pool volume and CYA, CC, PH levels I should be able to properly shock the pool. This unfortunately has not been true. I think "knowing" exactly what the demand will be is the next step. What is needed to perform a bucket test and how to do it ? The pool's water has an offensive odor and is crystal clear. All of the readings are in range except the chlorine. My pool is a 14000 gallon in-ground octagon with a vinyl liner. I winterized with a new cover and did not open the pool as early as normal. (first week of June) When I opened it, it was a swamp. What type of chlorine would you use to solve this problem ?

Hope you can help me solve the problem, Thanks.
    B Helgason

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Bucket Testing

Any idea what your CYA was when you closed the pool last fall? My guess is that your CYA has biodegraded over the winter and created a lot of ammonia as a byproduct. This causes a huge chlorine demand. We see this scenario all the time, unfortunately.

Directions for doing the bucket test are here:> http://pool9.net/bucket-demand
    Your best bet is to just use bleach as your source of chlorine. Walmart's generic 8.25% bleach is fine.

What kind of test kit do you use?

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Bucket Testing

. . . membership updated.

Chlorine demand test => http://pool9.net/bucket-demand/

+ Reply to Thread