+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returning Member who has forgotten more than once knew about pools.

Unhappy Returning Member who has forgotten more than once knew about pools.

Good afternoon everyone. I used to belong to this forum many years ago when we had an inground pool. Due to illnesses and other issues we had to move and thus gave up a pool. We just now after about 10 years got another pool.... this time an above ground polyvynil type pool (16'x48" circle). Its terrible how much I've forgotten. I recall Ben used to have a program... think it was called Bleach Calculator or something of that sort. Was a real life saver but it doesn't appear to be available here to d/l any more. Can someone point me in the right direction assuming it still exists.

We just got the pool setup. Haven't even tested the water yet, plan to purchase a test kit this evening. So I've only put in 1/2 gal of grocery store bleach (not scented; 6%) just to have some bleach in it until I can actually determine where our chemicals are at. We have non-chlorinated city water here so I'm hoping that will be enough for a day or so until I can get some chlorine tabs etc.

Any pointers/refreshers would be greatly appreciate.
    TIA

*16' diameter; 48" deep; 5060 gal (or so documentation said) polyvinyl above ground.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Returning Member who has forgotten more than once knew about pools.

Hi and welcome back to the forum! What was your username before?

The bleach calculator is still around. You can find it here:> http://pool9.net/bleach-calc/

Since this is a freshly filled pool, the easiest way to begin would be to use our Super Simple Start-up Recipe which you can find here:> http://pool9.net/ssr/ It tells you how much bleach to add for the first few days while you get the things you need.

The test kit that we think is by far the best is the Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). Not available locally but you can get it through this link that takes you to Amazon: http://pool9.net/tk/

But, in the meantime, go to Walmart and see if they have the HTH 6-Way drops-based kit (no test strips!) and get that. If they don't, get an OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops) instead. Use it to test and then post your numbers.

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

Glad to have you back with us!

Hello Watermom,

I've been registered under two previous names hens1528 and CarolH50; quite a few years ago. I had pools and/hot tubs a couple of times over the years. Then due to health issues I had to give up playing in pools, etc for a number of years, but am once again back into it. Probably more because I want my grandkids to learn the pleasures of it and how to be safe around it.

Thank you for the links to the SSS Recipe and the link to d/l BleachCalc. I read the SSRecipe (really helped a lot to have that refresher; amazing how much one can forget). So far I've not had any luck d/l Bleach calc. I keep getting an error msg: "Unexpected error" every time I try to save and/or run it. I've tried copy/pasting the link into a new tab, window; d/l it when logged out and in; from firefox and IE. Read somewhere on here that someone got it to work by using Chrome so I will try that when I log off here and hopefully that will work. I've tried changing Compatibility settings to it and running as an administrator, also with no success. I'm guessing it's got to have something to do with Windows 8.1 but so far none of the compatibility settings have helped. You wouldn't happen to have a copy you could email me by chance? or any other suggestions I can try. I *think* my Registration is complete. I rec'd the activation email yesterday and went to the link included. That program was soooo very helpful with my previous pools.

TIA
    TealMama

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Bleachcalc was created by a former member here, who no longer has a pool. It can't be updated, and does not work with Windows 8.

However, if you follow the SSR, I think you'll find you don't really need the calculator. I checked both registration names and they've been purged . . . but the CarolH50 name suggests you were one of the very early registrants and probably received "The PoolLetter". Good to have you back!

. . . membership upgraded.

Yes I was one of the earlier (but not earliest) members. I did receive the pool letter, too. I don't know if I would've ever learned all I needed to know if it hadn't been for all the great people's help here at the forum (was poololutions then). They made it soooo much simpler for me. Can't really express how VERY helpful it was.

Thank you
    5k gal 16' x 48 pool

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

We're glad to have you back!

+ Reply to Thread