+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solar Fish??

Default Solar Fish??

I'm sure this was in the old forum but should probably be asked again...

Anyway, has anyone used those cheap "Solar Fish" instead of a bubble cover?

The theory is it places a thin layer of something (oil?) to reduce evaporation.

It supposidly works better if you don't run the pump (or maybe redirect the returns from the surface)

Does it work? I don't want to mess with a bubble cover, but could use some cheap heat gain.

Robert

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I did some online research on the solar fish a while back. The liquid inside is also available in gallons by the company that manufactures it for commercial pool use. It has some type of propriatary material in an isopropol alcohol carrier and if there is NO disturbance of the water surface from anything (even the wind) it can help keep a couple of degrees of heat in the pool overnight. Once the water surface is disturbed the effect is lost until it is calm again. It might work for you. I decided it was not worth the money for me to try it.

Since we have an indoor pool we tried it when it first came out. It was better then nothing, but not by much. If I had to guess I would say no cover was 0 and the bubble cover was 100% the fish was about 20%. We even actually dropped what was rated for our pool surface area, and then tried doubling it with little added effect. Not enough to allow us to leave the cover off, but again better then nothing at all. The heat loss was still way too much and the humidity never really came back down after swimming until we covered it.

Better then nothing, but not by much and as water bear said if it was outdoors and windy I wouldn't think it would do much of anything.

Waterworks is offline In the pool biz Thread Analyst Waterworks 0

I have literally hundreds of customers that swear by the solar fish. I swear I must be losing money in my store from lost solar blanket sales. Of the hundreds of happy customers, we have probably 10 or so who have said they would not use them again. This product has been around for many years (~30?), and apparently there is science to support the manufacturer's claims. The fact remains that wind, water flow and someone jumping in the pool will disturb the surface tension of the water, thereby negating the positive effect of the fish.

Brad
    www.waterworkspools.com

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Waterworks
    I have literally hundreds of customers that swear by the solar fish. I swear I must be losing money in my store from lost solar blanket sales. Of the hundreds of happy customers, we have probably 10 or so who have said they would not use them again. This product has been around for many years (~30?), and apparently there is science to support the manufacturer's claims. The fact remains that wind, water flow and someone jumping in the pool will disturb the surface tension of the water, thereby negating the positive effect of the fish.

Brad
    www.waterworkspools.com
    Brad:
    It sounds like you are truly baffled as to why they use them. Me too! How many does the average customer spend per year, how much is the average solar cover--per year? If the Fish annual expediture is more than the per year cost of a cover (say a cover costs $200 and lasts 5 years--that's $40/year). So in my example, if they spend more than $40/ year on the fish, you are makin' bucks, bro!
    Carl
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Brad:
    It sounds like you are truly baffled as to why they use them. Me too! How many does the average customer spend per year, how much is the average solar cover--per year? If the Fish annual expediture is more than the per year cost of a cover (say a cover costs $200 and lasts 5 years--that's $40/year). So in my example, if they spend more than $40/ year on the fish, you are makin' bucks, bro!
    Carl
    I did a quick check on prices. the basic fish are about $10 a pop and it takes two to treat an inground pool of 16x32 or bigger (one fish treats up to 350 or 400 sq ft surface area).
    The deluxe fish with the built in dosing pump( about $20-$25 a pop) will treat 800 sq fot for a month or 400 sq ft for 2 months but I have read either on here or on a different board I visit is that the pump and battery don't last that long and they go dead in a week or 2.
    The heatsavr liquid by the gal costs about $60. Dont know how much or how long it will treat but it does have to be dosed on a regular basis since it biodegrades in a few days.

Seems like a solar blanket and reel is a better deal to me!
    Last edited by waterbear; 04-01-2006 at 12:26 PM.

Due to the size and shape of my pool, a bubble cover would be a pain and I know once folks start swimming it wouldn't go back on!

If the fish help a little over the next 30-60 days, that's a plus for me. I have some floor returns so I can keep the water pretty still. (as long as the wind isn't blowing)

I'll post how it goes!

Robert

I am iterested in hearing your results. I have an odd shaped pool and the solar cover is a pain to put on and take off. I really only use it from about Dec. thru Feb. because my heater doesn't have to work as hard then!

Doesn't the film or whatever it is muck up filters?

Talking

according to the manufactures info it is harmless to filters and people and compatible with all forms of sanitizers (CL, BR, Bac), ionizers, etc. It HAS been in use for quite a while now and if there were negative effects I'm sure we would have heard about them. The main thing about it is the question of whether it is a cost effective and just darn plain effective solution to heat loss and evaporation.

+ Reply to Thread