+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rookie pool guy - 10K above ground vinyl liner - almost there, pool a little cloudy..

Question Rookie pool guy - 10K above ground vinyl liner - almost there, pool a little cloudy..

Pool Forum, Hello!

Thank you for building and maintaining this site, it has proven incredibly effective in assisting me with getting my girlfriends pool back in shape. I think my readings are all pretty good, the PH and Chlorine seems OK - the water is just a little cloudy (visibility about 2-3 ft) What do you suggest?

Specs:
    10K/gal above ground round pool - 4ft consistent depth
    Hayward 21" Sand Filter with 1.5 HP Power-Flo Matrix Pump with a 3' Twist Lock Cord (pretty sure this is accurate)

Most recent readings from Taylor K-2006
    Chlorine - 2.0 (scale of 0.0-3.0 - I used the smaller test kit for this, seemed OK so I did not do an in depth reading with the Taylor kit)
    PH - 7.2
    Total Alkalinity - 160 ppm
    Calcium hardness - 130 ppm
    Cyanuric Acid - 18ppm
    **Fill water comes from a well and is very hard/metallic.

Thanks in advance for the help, I have been through a few different scenarios that we were able to navigate and fix through older threads on your site (brown stains on liner from metal deposits, mustard algae on liner to name a couple) and I really appreciate the assistance/advice - also, I followed all of your links and purchased all my supplies through the online store via Amazon

Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-26-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: enable signature
    10k gal AG round pool - 4ft depth, Hayward 21" Sand Filter with 1.5 HP Power-Flo Matrix Pump with a 3' Twist Lock Cord, well water fill, PF=12

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Rookie pool guy - 10K above ground vinyl liner - almost there, pool a little clou

1. Do the DE test on the filter, to make sure it's functional: http://pool9.net/de-test/

2. Any time the pool is cloudy, make sure the pump is running 24/7 (UNLESS you are trying to allow dirt to settle)

3. Add chlorine to hold FC > 4 ppm; high is better than low.

Other comments: it's unusual for fill water to be hard (high in calcium) AND have metals (iron, copper, or manganese). Test your FILL water with the K2006 (just test pH, TA & CH; don't test chlorine or CYA).

. . . membership updated.

+ Reply to Thread