+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Start up chemistry for first time pool owner

Default Start up chemistry for first time pool owner

Hi, Im back. This forum has been so much help in every aspect to becoming a better first time pool owner.

I reside in Lynbrook NY I have:
    14' x 42" summer escapes pool
    Intex Saltwater Krystal
    Intex 12" Sand Pump Filter
    HTH 6-way test kit

I like to order all my chemicals, I like to have everything, before i start.
    I will be following PoolDoc Super Simple Pool Chemistry, I just have a couple of questions.

1. Do you have to balance the pool before adding the salt?
    2. When should i add the salt?
    3. If i use the PoolBrand bagged dischlor, does this eliminate the bleach?
    4. Any other steps or chemicals i should buy?

Thank you in advance, I am sorry for all the questions i just want to get this right the first time.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Start up chemistry for first time pool owner

Great! doing the homework and getting ready before you start will make your pool far more enjoyable.

1-2) You can add salt pretty much anytime you want but I would wait to start the SWCG. I would operate the pool with dichlor until CYA is about 50 then move to SWCG as primary chlorine source. If you follow the Intex Pool Care Plan your water will be balanced by the time you're ready to start the SWCG.

3) I'd put in some bleach as the pool is filling and keep some on hand for shocking when necessary and to supplement the SWCG if it's not keeping up (lots of neighbor kids over one day). Do follow the Intex-type Pool 7 Day Start-up Plan startup steps but no need to chlorinate with bleach for the full week.

4) Salt, water, maybe baking soda if you find that you have to adjust pH too often (not right away). better filter carts from the SSR page. Floaty toys. Taylor K-2006!!!

Welcome, Good Luck!
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Do you have the Intex fittings that go through the pool wall? If not you'll need to get them.
    Here's the manual to your pump
    http://slink.intexdevelopment.com/b2...-1307%20EN.pdf
    If you already have possession of the pump/filter, check to be sure you have 2 each of items 24, 25, & 26, and one 27.

I'd recommend you get this also
    http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/h...ce/28003e.html
    It will make cleaning your pool easier. You can probably get it for less money on Amazon than direct from Intex (Intex shipping charges are fairly high).
    http://www.poolforum.com/amz/

Enjoy your new pool!

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Pappy

I started a thread to a covert a summer escapes pool to use intex sand pump and intex SWCG.
    I had purchased the intex plungers, inlet strainer and had converted the Summer escapes Skimmer.

As far as the maintenance kit, I have the deluxe kit that works with the Summer escapes skimmer. I decided not to go with the Sand Pump Filter/Saltwater combo, I purchased the intex sand pump filter and the intex krystal saltwater generator separately each there own units. It was just a precaution, in case a unit goes bad i can just replace just one, where the combo might cost more if the unit goes bad (SWCG), due not being able to separate the units.

Any information is always welcomed and great.

BIG DAVE

Question:
    As i am filling my pool from my garden hose, I should use the bleach and borax method INTEX 7 DAY START UP PLAN, then add the salt and start my sand pump, wait ill all my salt has dissolved and start my SWCG then follow the INTEX POOL CARE PLAN, and monitor my PH levels.
    How long should i wait till the kids can go in the pool?

Please advise if this is correct?

Thank you so much
    Eblade21

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

The 7 Day plan calls for bleach while filling and borax if pH is low.

The Intex pool care plan calls for dichlor and borax. The borax is there to counteract the pH drop caused by dichlor. The dichlor is important as it is the source of CYA in this plan. CYA is critical as it prevents the sun from removing all the chlorine from the pool. Dichlor adds 9ppm CYA for every 10ppm chlorine it adds to the pool and it dissolves quickly.

I wouldn't use the SWCG until the pool has about 50ppm CYA regardless of when you add the salt. Start the pump/filter as soon as the water is above the in/out ports in the pool.

The kids can swim anytime the pH is between 7.0 and 8.0 and there is some chlorine in the pool. Add a half a dose of bleach or dichlor before each swim session.

Do you know the volume of the pool?

BigDave

According to the Summer Escapes Manual it states approx. 3300 gallons.

The measurement of the pool is a round pool 14 feet diameter by 42 inches.

It'll be eaisier to reckon CYA if you buy dichlor in pound bags, you'll be at about 55ppm CYA after using three pounds (1/2 Cup at a time). Don't even bother testing for CYA until then. At that point, start using the SWCG.

Hi,

Being im here in NY, we do not have a Sam's club close by, what do you recommend besides Poolbrand Dichlor shock or Kem-Tek. If you swear by them i rather stay on the same boat as everyone else.

Leslie's Chlor-Brite has been the good stuff everytime I've looked. It's expensive but since you need very little... Don't let them talk you into anything else - maybe floaty toys.

I found this on Amazon.Com, can you please advise if this is the Pool Brand dichlor. If not I will go and get a one day pass and purchase the one from Sam's Club

I just ordered my AquaChek Salt Strips and my Taylor K-2006C, I already have the HTH 6 Way Test kit. I just like to have everything in hand before I start anything

http://www.amazon.com/PoolBrand-Quic.../dp/B0026CG9PK

+ Reply to Thread