+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LarryLintz' thread

Default LarryLintz' thread

I can't remember what i included when i registered but i guess it wasn't enough to convince you i'm not a spammer. Trust me, i'm not smart enuf to put together a pool, or figure out this website, so surely to god spamming is beyond me. Can you give me clearance? I'm trying to find material on intex 9x18, both setting it up and water treatment.

For starters i see all sorts of hassle via the need to use bleach and chorine, draining pools 3x a summer, yikes! I've heard people rave about the salt system, is that the best route?

Default Just trying to follow rules here to get access

I've posted once or twice but since i don't have search privileges not sure if they appeared. I filled in questionnaire a few moments ago so maybe that helps. Have many questions about my inter 9x18. Kinda stressed about either assembling this incorrectly and/or doing that part right, but then messing up on the algae front.

Default LarryLintz' thread

Hey Watermom, i saw a previous thread where you list six bits of advice for setting up intex pool. It was for round, mine is rectangular...in any event it looked useful but now i can't find it (i don't have search privileges). Also, I've heard strong advice against the pink foam option, but then a lot of people on forum rave about it and it seems more logical that it would be more comfortable on feet and would not get all sorts of indentations like sand would. What is your view?

Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-25-2014 at 09:40 AM. Reason: enable signature
    4.5k gal Intex 9 x 18, Krystal Clear 1200 gph Sand Filter Pump. PF=27

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: LarryLintz' thread

I'm not sure what the 'six bits of advice' might have been. Perhaps you are thinking of our Super Simple Startup Recipe that you can find here:> http://pool9.net/ssr/

Regarding foam under the liner ------ I have it under my pool but PoolDoc's opinion is that it is usually not a good idea because he feels it makes it easier for a sharp object to pierce the liner. But, I will tell you that even with it, there are still indentations under the liner. There is no such thing as a perfect pool floor when you have a liner pool ---- at least none that I've ever seen, anyways.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Hi, Larry!

I found threads started by you all over the place and merged them together into this one.

In your first post, you mention the hassle of the need to use bleach and chlorine and having to drain the pool 3x per summer. First of all, having a pool is definitely some work but it really only takes me no more than 5 minutes per day at most to add a little bleach if needed. As far as having to drain the pool 3x per summer, I'm not sure where you got that idea. You should never have to drain a properly maintained pool.

We can help you learn to do that very thing --- maintain your pool. Do a lot of reading here on the forum, especially the stickied threads. Also go on over and read on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. Lots of good information there as well.

Order yourself a good kit to make your pool care easier on you. You can't get this kit locally, but you can order it through this link:> http://pool9.net/tk/ The kit you want is either the Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy).

You can use this link to search the entire forum and also on Pool Solutions:> http://pool9.net/search/

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions and someone here will be glad to try and help.

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Thread moved to "General Interest" section.

Pool info added to signature from form.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Just scanned your threads -- sounds like you may not have your pool up yet?

The *KEY* factor in installing the Intex rectangles is getting the site level. Really level.

Thanks to you both. Sorry about the various threads, but because i didn't have search rights i was unable to find my own posts. Sorry, almost panicking here -- actually debating whether to return pool as it's not out of box yet. Yes talked to sand company, they're charging $340 for two cubic yards of sand.
    One of my questions is answered, in that you are suggesting that the salt water system is not a good idea, that i should use this bleach mix. Correct? Is there a bleach odour?
    Also, i have still not gotten an answer to a HUGE question -- if i build an 11x20 base around my 9x18 pool, is it wide enough, or with support stands do i have to go wider?
    4.5k gal Intex 9 x 18, Krystal Clear 1200 gph Sand Filter Pump. PF=27

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I wouldn't put a frame pool on sand; the sand will shift away from the legs.

Dig to level, measured level, a straight board with a torpedo, 2' or 4' level would work but a water level with a couple marked stakes would be even better. After the site is level, a couple layers of tarpaulin under the pool should be good.

Sand is often used inside the walls, under the liner oftraditional steel wall AG pools. The pool is built on level, undisturbed ground.

I can't tell you if 11x20 is enough; are the instructions silent on the site dimensions?
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Salt water generates 'bleach' in the water. In a well maintained pool, there's no odor from either 'salt' or bleach.

An 11 x 20 base is pretty tight, for several reasons. If it was an 11 x 20 concrete pad, it would probably be OK, but that's not what you are talking about.

You probably want a 12 x 22 base that is SOLID, LEVEL, and not sand.

+ Reply to Thread