+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need help...still cloudy after more than a week...very hard water

Default Re: Need help...still cloudy after more than a week...very hard water

Yesterday, I added 32 oz. muriatic acid in small doses. I cleaned and vacuumed well and went in to stir the waters. There was still debris and cloudiness but I could see the bottom through it.

This morning, it it still cloudy, but the CH has improved and the FC remained at 15 from last night. TA is same and PH is way over (inaccurate with FC so high, right?)

Last night: This morning:
    FC 15 FC 15
    TA 275 TA 275
    CH 750 CH 425

I really think the filter is not doing its job efficiently and needs a sand replacement and considering adding salt to help with the high TA?
    8k gal 16x24 oval AG pool; mesh winter cover, well water fill, Premium Blue 22 sand filter, Premium Blue 1.5hp 1spd pump operating 24/7. PF=15

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If this --- CH: 750 => 425 --- is accurate, your filter is doing a heck of a job removing suspended calcium particles. You can test it with the DE test: http://pool9.net/de-test/

Retest your pH with 1/2 pool water and 1/2 distilled water (gallon jug from Walmart: MUST be "distilled"). Distilled water changes the pH very little, but reduces the chlorine by 1/2, so you can get valid results.

However it appears that you are doing a "lime softening" process without intending it: given your very high CH, this is a GOOD thing. Do not stop! What's happening, apparently, is the high pH + the high TA are continuing to produce calcium particles that your filter is removing. This is GOOD!

So . . . don't add any more muriatic acid, now. Continue cleaning your pool. After you complete the DE test -- assuming the filter 'passes' the test, you can continue to add DE to help the filter remove very fine particles. It will result in more frequent backwashes, however.

NOTE: salt has NOTHING to do with TA, and has no effect on it. WaterMom already gave you the link to the alkalinity page -- you need to read it.

BUT, do NOT try to lower your TA yet; doing so will STOP the CH removal process!

Instead:
    1. Complete the process of removing all the debris from your pool; vacuum up calcium dust as needed.
    2. Complete the pool equipment form: http://pool9.net/pf-equip-form/ That will help us know how to help you.
    3. Keep your chlorine high-ish
    4. Test your FILL water, and report those results. You only need to test pH, TA and CH
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-27-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: fix typo

Ok. I will keep at it and do the DE test. BTW, it was SALT I was considering to help with TA, not sand. Just been reading about it making the water feel softer.

Thanks for your help!
    8k gal 16x24 oval AG pool; mesh winter cover, well water fill, Premium Blue 22 sand filter, Premium Blue 1.5hp 1spd pump operating 24/7. PF=15

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I meant "salt"; I typed "sand".

Salt will make the water feel differently; many people describe the difference as "softer" or "slick". BUT, that has nothing to do with TA.

Ok. That makes more sense. Yes, there are little white particles all through the water. Must be the calcium.

PH tested at 7.8 using your method. Good.

I filled out the pool equipment form.

FILL water:
    PH 7.6
    TA 325
    CH 375

Need to go to the store to get DE for that test. Still going....
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-27-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: enable signature

Note volume revision -- formula for oval pools is r1 x r2 x π x water depth x 7.46 gal/cft . On your pool that is 8 x 12 x 3.14 x 3.5 x 7.46 = 7,870 or ~8,000 gallons.

If your ACTUAL water depth is 4', then it would be 9,000 gallons.

Is this Waterway package what you have? http://www.waterwayplastics.com/wp-c...-0094.0212.pdf

Your picture looks like my filter/pump but is is Premium Blue instead of Carefree. Don't know the difference offhand.

I got DE and added it. It "poofed" some out of the return, then cleared up. Pressure is 25 lbs. which is normal as far as I know. (Don't remember where it was last year.)

Waiting to see if there is an improvement...

Quote Originally Posted by 2inthecountry View Post
    Your picture looks like my filter/pump but is is Premium Blue instead of Carefree. Don't know the difference offhand..
    Probably a sort of private label for your retailer. This likely means you can use Waterway parts.

I got DE and added it. It "poofed" some out of the return, then cleared up. Pressure is 25 lbs. which is normal as far as I know.
    The pressure is too high -- that suggests your pump is too big for your filter. That's very, very common on AG pools. The DE test results would suggest that your filter does have some problems, but is still working well enough to capture the DE, after the first batch 'sticks'.

You might try another cup -- if it does not 'leak', that's confirmation of my interpretation.

Regardless, you'll get better filtration if you slow the water down, by putting a valve in the line between the pump and the filter, and throttling it somewhat. Your filter has also probably been losing some sand during backwashes and is a bit low.

Hmm...the pump and filter came together in the same package.

I wonder if the sand is "channeling"?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by 2inthecountry View Post
    Hmm...the pump and filter came together in the same package.
    Also very common. We see this all the time on the forum ---- people who bought a pump and filter combo as part of an AG pool package that were badly mismatched.

+ Reply to Thread