+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pool got cloudy after adding pH UP

Default pool got cloudy after adding pH UP

Hello and thank you for reading this.
    Yesterday my pool was crystal clear. I checked the water and I was low on pH (7 - 7.2) as well as low on chlorine.
    Before adding any chlorine I wanted to get my pH just right. I added just under the recommend amount directly into the skimmer.
    An hour later my pool was cloudy and still is.

Any ideas?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: pool got cloudy after adding pH UP

Some questions for you:

--Do you have a drops-based test kit? Can you post some current water testing results?
    --How much pH UP did you add?
    --What kind of pool is this and what is the volume?
    --What size of pump do you have?
    --What kind and size of filter do you have?
    --Exactly what all have you added to the pool -- meaning ingredients and not just product names like 'shock.'

Re-post with the requested info and someone here will try and help you.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Almost certainly, you have high-ish calcium and ended up precipitating calcium carbonate particles. So . . .

1. Use borax to raise your pH, and avoid the problem.
    2. Get a K2006 so you can manage your pH/alkalinity/calcium levels properly. http://pool9.net/tk/
    3. If your calcium is high because someone told you to add calcium, but you have an FG or vinyl pool, STOP adding calcium. There's no need for it. http://pool9.net/calcium/

. . . membership updated.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Almost certainly, you have high-ish calcium and ended up precipitating calcium carbonate particles. So . . .

1. Use borax to raise your pH, and avoid the problem.
    2. Get a K2006 so you can manage your pH/alkalinity/calcium levels properly. http://pool9.net/tk/
    3. If your calcium is high because someone told you to add calcium, but you have an FG or vinyl pool, STOP adding calcium. There's no need for it. http://pool9.net/calcium/

. . . membership updated.
    Thanks for updating!

1. Will do! Thanks for the tip. Are their guidelines on how much Borax to add? Is adding Borax to a hot tub OK as well? I just add backing soda to my hot tub until the pH is about right.
    2. I live in Canada, so I have to use Amazon.ca, and those products are not available through that vendor... Too bad.
    3. I have never added calcium to our water, but we do have high calcium (hard water with lots of iron).

I forgot to add:

So now that we believe it's a high calcium content: what can I do about it?

I was thinking about adding the clarifier to the filter like they recommend in the instructions (30mL to 50mL / 10,000 Litres). Says "may be added directly to the skimmer in the evening. The pool filter should be backwashed the next morning".

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Start off with 1/2 box per 10k gallons (~40k L) for large pH changes (7.0 => 7.6); 1/4 box for small (7.0 => 7.2)

+ Check the page again; I believe I link to a French Canadian site that is selling them.

+ Don't worry about the calcium, till you have the kit. In any case, it won't be an issue if (a) you don't have a heater and (b) you don't add any more.

+ Start off with 1/2 box per 10k gallons (~40k L) for large pH changes (7.0 => 7.6); 1/4 box for small (7.0 => 7.2)

+ Check the page again; I believe I link to a French Canadian site that is selling them.

+ Don't worry about the calcium, till you have the kit. In any case, it won't be an issue if (a) you don't have a heater and (b) you don't add any more.
    Well, I don't have a pool heater, but I may get one. If I do, I'll make sure to do proper water treatment.

How do I get rid of the cloudiness, though? By filtration? Or is there a chemical approach (other than flocking)?

Filtration . . . and time.

You could see if it will settle:
    1. Raise the chlorine level HIGH.
    2. Turn your pump off for 24+ hours.
    3. After it settles (if it settles), adjust your returns upward so they don't disturb the floor.
    4. Carefully vacuum the calcium dust to "WASTE".

(Not an option, if you don't have a multiport with a 'waste' position.)

Filtration . . . and time.

You could see if it will settle:
    1. Raise the chlorine level HIGH.
    2. Turn your pump off for 24+ hours.
    3. After it settles (if it settles), adjust your returns upward so they don't disturb the floor.
    4. Carefully vacuum the calcium dust to "WASTE".

(Not an option, if you don't have a multiport with a 'waste' position.)
    I did a backwash today, and the beackwash looked milky: that means the filter is catching some of the stuff. I'll try some more filtration for now, and if it doesn't improve in 24 hours, I'll do the chlorination/settling/vacuum to waste (yes, I can do that) thing.

You guys are really helpful: thanks a lot!

You might read http://pool9.net/de-test/

The page describes adding DE to your sand filter, to verify that it is working properly. BUT, DE will also cause a sand filter to capture smaller particles than it otherwise would do, so using DE might reduce the time it takes to clear the water. However, it will result in more frequent backwashing, and you'll need to replace the DE each time. For most residential sand filters, 1 - 2 cups of DE is enough.

Stupid question: what's DE?

+ Reply to Thread